Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here's a new way to light your lump!

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
Reading the weekly supermarket sale flyers, I came across this in a Kroger ad:

"A CHIP OFF THE OLD BARBEQUE

Did you know tortilla chips make a great substitute for a fire starter? Simply pile them on charcoal, light with a match, and you're in business."

And with a match? This person has obviously not spent much time around charcoal. All of you with chips in the house...rush out and try it and report back.
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    This has been around for a while. Tortilla chips are fried and still hold oil.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Want to see a car go up in flames? Light a bag of chips and throw it in the back seat.
    When backpacking, to get a campfire started, we use fritos. As few as a single chip can be all you need. 
    There are a few folks in this forum that use paper towels soaked in cooking oil to light the egg. It all works.
    Alcohol and cotton balls work very well.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Toxarch said:
    Want to see a car go up in flames? Light a bag of chips and throw it in the back seat.
    When backpacking, to get a campfire started, we use fritos. As few as a single chip can be all you need. 
    There are a few folks in this forum that use paper towels soaked in cooking oil to light the egg. It all works.
    Alcohol and cotton balls work very well.

Paper towels and some veggie oil gets RW going very quick, at least for me.

I use whatever bag of chips are on sale for $.99 a bag while camping for fires quite often, works awesome.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Starting a fire with Doritos? That's an old trick.

Howsabout cooking a steak with JUST Doritos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt7oTbxSCjA
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I've started charcoal using Lay's Potato chips before.  They burn like crazy.