Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Curious......brisket question

I hate to ask this but. I'm cooking a brisket for tomorrow.i bought a 12# prime brisket. The thing was nice. I started trimming it tonight and I believe I went overboard. To me there was a bunch of hard fat through out the brisket. By the time I finished it's probably 9#. Very very thin all the way through. Hardly any point. Did I get to crazy trimming or has someone else ran across that much hard fat? 

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

Comments

• Arkysmokin
    Arkysmokin Posts: 124
    Here it is after the trim. I think I messed up 

XL BGE

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Generally you wanna remove the hard thick fat from the side of the point but you don't want to go all the way through, there's a Franklin video where he trims and cuts off the ducket I think he called it, do you have a pic?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Arkysmokin
    Just posted a pic

XL BGE

• Hans61
    Looks like you'll have a fantastic brisket flat. I'd still put the point end at the back of your egg. I think you cut too much off, but you'll still be able to cook a delicious meal with what you have! Have fun with it!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Arkysmokin
    Just curious, do you by chance have a before pic, or a pic of what you cut off?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hans61
    Watch the Franklin brisket videos on YouTube I'm sure there are other good trimming videos out there too :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    @SGH is right I might have spoken too soon
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Hans61 said:
    I'm just curious as to what he had to work with and what he removed. I'm kind of nosy that way ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hans61
    SGH said:
    Hans61 said:
    I'm just curious as to what he had to work with and what he removed. I'm kind of nosy that way ;)
    That's the way to give the best advice and help to a brother!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Arkysmokin
    Sorry folks I don't have a before picture. Didn't have that big a point to begin with. I did take much off the flat. Was just very disappointed in myself when I finished. This is probably my 5th brisket I've done and this has never happened

XL BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Nothing like going for a ride as you have the brisket and it's show-time.  Get things stable in the AM and dial it in-somewhere around 250-270*F and run til the flat probes like buttah.  Expect  around 1 hr/lb but don't trust it.  Go with the feel in the thickest part of the flat.  Just a little challenge on July 4th-relax and have some fun with the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Arkysmokin
    Happens to be the one time my neighborhood asked me to cook one. I'm will have to fold what's left of the point underneath when I cook.

XL BGE

• lousubcap
    No need to fold-drape over a brick or inverted roasting rack til the proverbial shrinkage takes over.  Than lay it flat-just make sure all of the brisket is foil protected from the direct heat.  You can nail this.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    @Arkysmokin you'll knock it out of the park :-) we are all our worst critics don't let it get you down and have fun. If your point wasn't very thick to begin with you probably did a good job!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Arkysmokin
    Thank you all. @lousubcap I was only thinking of the fold because it's so thin. I thought it might cook more evenly. That was my original thought anyway.

XL BGE

• lousubcap
    Your cook as I am not there-if you think that's the way to go...have at it.  You can always unfold depending on how things are progressing.  Just have fun with it-the journey is by far and away the best part.  
  • Arkysmokin

XL BGE

• Arkysmokin
    It turned out awesome! Thanks for calming down a crazed cook everyone!

XL BGE

• lousubcap
    Friggin winner right there-congrats.  Hope you were able to enjoy the cook and not worry over those things that became history.  Great smoke ring BTW.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Looks outstanding. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX