Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving with my XL

Options
I'm going to be moving from the Tampa Bay area up to Nashville, TN, and I'd like to get the forum's take on whether I should sell my XL or try to move it. I've asked my dealer to save the pack out material for the next XL they put together, and I think they will come through for me, but I'm still torn on whether to sell the XL & the table or move it with us.

We're using PODs like containers for the move, but I was planning on putting the table in the container and the egg in my SUV.  I'm leaning heavily towards moving it, but I wonder if it would be ok in a container for the move if it was in original packaging. Or maybe just sell it before we move and buy another once we get moved into a house. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited June 2016
    Options
    There's a good chance it'll be fine if you have the original packaging. Remember that it was shipped to where you bought it. It was probably manhandled more then that what you're proposing. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Don't sell unless you're willing to take a good size loss on it. If something does crack during the move it will probably cost less than the loss you will get selling it. The box should help from the dealer. If you have room in the suv that will be an easy ride for it. A pod will be a rougher ride but could be done with some extra padding 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I'm actually in the moving business. If you use PODS you should be fine. They have a machine that lifts the entire pod on and off the truck and it keeps them level. Some of the other companies use flat-beds to load and unload. That's when things can get ugly. 
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    yljkt said:
    I'm actually in the moving business. If you use PODS you should be fine. They have a machine that lifts the entire pod on and off the truck and it keeps them level. Some of the other companies use flat-beds to load and unload. That's when things can get ugly. 
    We're actually using U-pack. Have you had any experience with them?
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Insurance may be a good idea. List it as a separate item with value. On other hi dollar items also.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    I moved from Tampa to Nashville a few years ago and my egg traveled nicely in the back of the Ryder truck. I wrapped the guts with bubble wrap and strapped it to the rail inside the truck. I even left it in the nest. There was no way it could fall over. Nashville is great but I sure do miss Tampa. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    volfan1 said:
    yljkt said:
    We're actually using U-pack. Have you had any experience with them?
    Yeah that's ABF freight. They use POD like containers. They usually pick up and deliver with a trailer with a forklift on the back. They work pretty well. 
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Thanks. I think it will be ok as long as I can get the pack out. I'll make sure it's strapped/bungee corded to the container.

It will be hard to leave Tampa since I've been here for 20 years. We still have plenty of friends and family down here, so we'll be back to visit.
  • 82grillmaster
    Options
    I had to move with my XL last month, so stressful. It was OK in the end and I was able to get rid of an overbite issue. I strapped it down in the back of a Ryder truck underneath a kitchen table so nothing could fall on it. So relieved when we unloaded it :)