Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burning Coal

Options

I've come looking for some advice on best practices... :s

I've found that I have difficulty with the BGE in stabalizing at a temperature with a good, "clean" burn.  Generally speaking, I follow the tried-and-tested method of firing up the BGE, letting it breathe until I get a softball-size lump caught, closing the lid, and waiting for the grill to come to temp.  Approx. 25 degrees prior to the final temperature, I start closing up the vents - no problem getting stabalized at any temperature from 175 through 600+.  I usually waste a little time drinking a beverage around now while I wait for the ceramic temp to increase as well.

However, unless I'm completing a low & slow cook over an extended period of time, my lump always seems to be burning inefficiently sending off some of that undesirable white smoke.  For a piece of meat like a steak, not a big deal from a flavor profile perspective - but when it comes to more delicate things like vegetables, eh, not so good.

What am I doing wrong?  Am I putting in too much charcoal and having to restrict the airflow too much?  Or vice versa?  Or something else?

Appreciate the thoughts...I'd like to do some side dishes on the grill that are better without smoke...and leave the smoke for times when I intentionally add wood chips.

DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    And just to quell any uncertainty, I've used BGE lump and FOGO
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    How long are you waiting?  Some brands can take over 45 minutes to clear.  Although in my experience, FOGO is pretty good.
    NOLA
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Generally around 25-30 minutes after coming to temp.  Perhaps that's too short?  It's just disconcerting to see a white plume coming out of the top vent when you've got something like asparagus roasting.... :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    The simple and fail-proof test is to smell the smoke...if it smells good it is good.  
    Your start-up process is solid, especially for dialing in a low&slow cook.  You can definitely let more lump get going (or initially light more) if you are going hot&fast.
    The quantity of lump burning as you know is dictated by the air-flow.  That said, the ignited lump is burning quite hot but the fire scene is oxygen starved, thus controlling the size of the fire.  
    The "bad smoke" can be either water vapor or VOC's which will off-gas across a wide temperature range but in fairly short order.  Trust the nose, it knows.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap - I'll keep it in mind to trust my nose next time. I'm guessing, based upon the taste of the asparagus, that what I saw was mostly VOCs. 

The confusing thing for me is that the lump seems to burn fairly quickly when igniting, but once I get to temp and close up the vents I seem to get a good deal of smoke. Perhaps I'm just not waiting long enough to let things normalize. 
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    My method which is contrary to what many on here use is to leave unburned coal from previous cook in the firebox and put only a small amount more if needed. I then fill most of a small chimney with fresh coal.
    I let the chimney burn for fifteen or more minutes until flames come out the top. I then dump it into the egg, put on the plate setter and the grid. I close the lid, The coal lighting in the chimney burns off much of the VOC. I let the temp rise to over 200 and start closing vents. Within about an hour from the time I started prep, the smoke is clear. I use mostly RO which is the same as BGE.  Lousubcap is right smell the smoke. I use a lot of apple chunks and when the back yard smells like burning apple wood the fire is ready.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast