Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami...w/ pics before & after

For the longest time I've wanted to make pastrami.  While I do love brisket, I've just been wanting that little extra kick with my beef.  So this past March I picked up a 4 lb corned beef when they were on sale around St. Pats Day, and this week I got it prepared for smoking.  A couple of days to defrost, followed by 24 hours to de-salt, changing the water at least 4 times.  Then I applied the pastrami rub, heavy with black pepper and coriander powder, leaving it sit in the refrig over night for about 16 hours.

Put it on the LBGE indirect at 225.  I intended to go all the way without wrapping, but after 8 hours I was only at 170 IT.  Wrapped it with 1/3 cup of water with beef bouillon and bumped up the DigiQ to 250.  2 hours later I hit IT of 200, then FTC for 2 hours.  The results can be seen in the second picture. 

Good taste (quite peppery) but surprisingly, pulling it at 200 may have been too soon.  I ended up nuking it for 3 minutes in a covered Corning Ware dish...that did the trick.  I didn't mark it well enough prior to applying the rub, so it took a second try to cut against the grain.  My biggest fear was that I wouldn't de-salt it well enough, but no problem there.  It made for a great sandwich - rye with Swiss, 100 Island and sautéed kraut.  Yes, I'll do it again sometime...probably next year when I can find a good sale on corned beef at St Pat's Day!

Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
Naperville, IL

Comments