Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much more time for BIG spatchcock chicken?

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing spatchcock chicken for the first time tonight. I was planning to do 3 smalls (3 or 4 pounds each). My wife came home with 3 big ones, 6 to 7 pounds each.

So, I'm thinking I'll only be able to fit two of these on my Large BGE. The other problem I have, though, is I don't know how much longer I should cook them. If I'd done 3 small ones, I was planning to do direct at 350F for 45 minutes (20 to 25 min per side). Anybody know how I need to modify for these two bigger birds?

Comments

• locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Options
    never done them...how did they turn out.
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Sorry, I never saw your reply until now!

It was kind of a Tale of Two Chickens...

For one, I just put some minced garlic under the skin, then brushed with butter and sprinkled salt and pepper on top. For the other, I injected it with Creole Butter (from the Cajun Injector) and sprinkled with paprika. I cooked both for 30 minutes at 350F, flipped, and cooked another 30 minutes.

The buttered chicken came out a little overdone. It wasn't terribly dry, though, probably because of the BGE. The injected chicken, though, was a little underdone. The meat was kind of slimy, and I didn't notice much improvement in flavor from the marinade.

All in all, not a bad showing for my first try, but I think I'd like to try a smaller chicken with just a rub next time and see how that goes.