Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket Question

Options
Hey Guys hoping you can help me out.  I am replacing my gasket with a Rutland and when I take it out of the package, there are lots of loose hairs and dust.  Is this normal? Do the hairs burn off?  Not feeling to comfortable using this.  Please let me know what you think

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Paging @RRP who has likely forgotten more about Rutlands than the rest of us will ever know ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hey Guys hoping you can help me out.  I am replacing my gasket with a Rutland and when I take it out of the package, there are lots of loose hairs and dust.  Is this normal? Do the hairs burn off?  Not feeling to comfortable using this.  Please let me know what you think
    Sounds like your package has been man-handled, but the dust inside is graphite. As for the hairs, wait until after you have finished installing it and then using a simple butane lighter those individual hairs will burn off. Sounds like you bought one of those blister kits. I would pitch that tube of adhesive and go with Permatex Ultra Copper. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • OpusXcellent
    Options
    Thanks, this is what I got I see that the pics usually have just 95 instead of 95-6. There was a lot of hairs on my thinking of going with the Nomex.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks, this is what I got I see that the pics usually have just 95 instead of 95-6. There was a lot of hairs on my thinking of going with the Nomex.
    That debris is graphite plus static electricity is at play as well. Like I said that package has been handled very roughly to have caused that.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    class is in session and this will be on your final exam...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC