Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston butt cooking question

Options
The kids just got home from college today, and I was thinking about cooking two butts this weekend. I have a medium egg, so are there any tricks to cooking two at once?
Summerville, SC

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Nothing much different than cooking one.  Give them just a little space apart (they'll shrink throughout the cook anyway).  Put the probe in the smaller one, but check both once the smaller hits around 190 as they may cook at different times.

I would also put them parallel to the BGE handle as if you put them vertical (one in front one in back) there is more heat on the back one.

I take off at 200.

Good luck!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Cooking two may take a few minutes longer due to the initial heat load of the amount of meat but it is pretty much negligible. Depending on the size of the butts you might have to stand them on edge to fit the grate. Otherwise no problem I can foresee. Well after thinking a bit maybe one. Make sure your grease catch pan is deep enough to contain the rendered fat from two butts. I almost had a disaster in my XL when the pan overflowed cooking six at one time.  Not a good thing.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    No tricks that I can think of. If time is an issue, think about turbo - I really haven't tasted a difference between turbo and low & slow. Welcome home, kids!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Even jammed together there is no effect on time. No worries. Cook on
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Key is anticipating the 2 butts to behave differently.  That said there is no more forgiving cook.  Enjoy the kids!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • F3DAWG
    F3DAWG Posts: 98
    Options
    Thanks for comments
    Summerville, SC
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    And they will behave differently. I can't find the graphs, but I did 2 once with two igrill probes, they were like fighting kids...  One hotter than the other, then it'd switch back and forth the whole time. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I rotated the rack a couple of times when cooking 2. Even out the heat between them to help them finish at the same time. Not necessary. Not much different than doing a single butt.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• KNolish
    KNolish Posts: 8
    Options
    For what it's worth, I've regularly done 3 in a large and had no issues.  When pulled, all three were cooked about the same.  Right now, I've got two going in my large.

Can't say for sure about the time being affected.  I figure anywhere between 12-14 hours.  I think that the outside temperature, wind direction and speed has a bigger effect than the quantity and placement of the meat.

Keep an eye on things and use some sort of meat thermometer in a few places in the butts before taking them off of the grill and pulling.