Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to Searzall, have a question

Options
Hi all.  I recently acquired a Searzall to help get me through my eggless period while I renovate my house.  I used it yesterday on some sous vide pork chops, and it worked great.  But I was not expecting the torch itself to get very cold while I used it.  Is this normal?
Toronto ON

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    It's changing from liquid to gas and that drops the temp.  That goes for any torch, gas BBQ grill tank, etc.

Have fun with the Searzall--I use mine everyday for little stuff.
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Thanks, @stlcharcoal.  I have never used a torch before so just want to make sure I am not going to blow myself up. It is a little nerve-wracking but I think I will get lots of use out of it.
    Toronto ON
  • jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    Options
    As the liquid turns to a gas it reduces the pressure.  When pressure drops the temperature follows.  
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    To change from a liquid to a gas it takes heat. Same as water to steam. Your toarch is absorbing heat from the air to do it. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    If you have ever used one of those little propane camping stoves with the green bottles, you will have experienced the same thing.  I've had the bottles completely ice up from the cooling.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    Options
    If you have ever used one of those little propane camping stoves with the green bottles, you will have experienced the same thing.  I've had the bottles completely ice up from the cooling.
    Exactly!
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Yes, the green canister is what is attached to my torch.  The canister itself doesn't get cold, but the torch sure does.  I spent some time on the phone with Bernzomatic this weekend...very helpful and friendly folks.  They (like you) have assured me it is not an issue.
    Toronto ON