Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Tenderloin

Options
Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My parents are coming into town this weekend, and I thought I would cooks steaks for my dad for father's day. As opposed to spending $60 buying filets at Fresh Martket, I thought that I might by a whole tenderloin at Costco and cut it much like the one at http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesTloin.html. I would then cook the steaks for my parents and save the whole tenderloin for my wife and myself. I just wanted to make sure how to cut the tenderloin correctly to make the filets. [p]It is my understanding that I would take the smaller end of the loin, and cut off about 1/3 of it so that I get to the middle area where I make my filets. That 1/3 that I cut off is the "worst" part of the loin, and is best in stews, chili, etc. I then just cut four filets out of the middle of the loin. These four filets will each just be a 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch cut of the loin. Finally, I will save the remainer to be cooked as a roast.[p]Please let me know if this is correct, as I don't want to screw up something that costs this much (I am not concerned about the cook itself).

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Doug,[p]I bought a whole tenderloin at Oak Grove market, then had them cut it into individual filets. The filets were all excellent, so I believe it would incorrect to say that part of it is lower grade and better intended for stews, etc. I'm 99% certain that NO part of the tenderloin is so tough or sinewy that you would want to make it into roast or chili, when there are less expensive meats that can also serve that purpose.[p]There are some straggely pieces of beef near one of the ends, and for those you can use one or two toothpicks to hold that filet together. So I'd cut the entire thing into 1.5 inch filets and then cook the 4 or 5 prettiest ones, wrap the rest really well and freeze for later.[p]hope that helps,
    J