Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White smoke and Cold weather

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,485
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum
Okay, this is my second thread on one cook, but it has more universal app.  I filled up my Large this morning and lit it, and once it hit 250 I put on the meat, there was no "white" smoke.  But, in retrospect, I was cooking much quicker than I normally do, and that's with a fresh load of lump.  
The ribs tasted fine, but now I've got a nasty taste in my mouth, and the leftovers have my frig not smelling too good.  Thanks to this forum I've let the volatiles burn off pretty much from my first cook, so I'm not sure this is a "volatiles" taste in my mouth, but the smoke was clear when I started.

My question:  does the initial white smoke appear fairly "clear" when the outside temps are lower?  I started cooking when it was about 40º, and it's high-desert dry here.  Yuck, I need to slurp a chocolate shake or something to get this taste out of my mouth...

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Honestly, I have no idea.  We're at 750 feet and humidity is usually high, so we're far from your environment.  For low and slows, I use the Flame Boss for control.  Rockwood is the lump of choice for all cooks ... new lump for the most part.  Temp is at 250 in less than 30 minutes (usually around 20) ... if the exhaust is clear and it smells good, then on goes the protein within about 10 minutes of reaching temp.  Haven't had your problem.  Will be interested in what you find out.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    Just smell the smoke coming out of the top. Even if it's clear. If it smells good then you're good to go. 
    War Damn Eagle!