Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country-style ribs and a rub comparison

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,485
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum

Because they were separated in the package, I set up a rub tasting, putting three different rubs on different ribs and then marking with toothpicks (I originally wrote "rub-off" but that didn't sound very good :D ).  Just salt-n-black pepper on two, Moroccan Harissa on two, and my normal pork rib rub on the rest.  Smoked with maple wood.  The Harissa was quite interesting, packs some head (ingredients include crushed red pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic, paprika, sumac and "other spices").  I think it would be better on chicken, will give that a try sometime.

Accompanied with a Brussel Sprout slaw with Pecorino and toasted pine nuts made on Cook's Country yesterday; it was okay but not a keeper (although I'm adding toasted pine nuts to all my salads from now on).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I saw the Cooks Country Brussel Sprout slaw and wondered if it would be good.
    I think you have saved me the trouble of making it.
    I will try the pine nuts in the salads though.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I've been wanting to try Country Ribs. Low and Slow like Baby Backs? Or, better going Turbo at 350-375? Approx time for each? 

Thanks! 

New Albany, Ohio 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Considering that harissa is from a culture that doesn't eat pork, I 'spose tht might be why it wasn't quite right.

I love brussel slaw. I looked at the Cook's Country recipe.  I noticed it was using lemon juice instead of vinegar. That might have been disappointing. Try the same w. red wine, or sherry or champagne vinegar instead. The sharp bite of the vinegar helps, I think. A few crumbles of bacon helps, too!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I've been wanting to try Country Ribs. Low and Slow like Baby Backs? Or, better going Turbo at 350-375? Approx time for each? 

Thanks! 

I went L-n-S @ 250 F, and they finished quite a bit quicker than bone-in ribs do, under 3 hours!  Didn't have any kind of a crust though, I will try turbo next time.

@gdenby, will try vinegar next time (if there is a next time), thanks.  My Brussels may have been poor quality, they didn't fall apart much once sliced (they were mostly "core") like they did in the Test Kitchen.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month