Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Choice Brisket in MN for $2.88/ LB, What To Do

Options

I stopped in a Sams club today for some yeast and thought I would check out the briskets. They had 2 16 lb brisket packers. One is being cooked tonight and the other is in the freezer. If they had more, I would've bought more.

320° with oak smoke. It should be done around 11:00 PM just in time to slice, package and freeze. Some will be for sammies and other will be for chili with beans.

I haven't posted in some time but I'm still eggen and baking. I added some lights so I can cook easier at night.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Been missing you pal. Nice score and setup is sweet. Got a brisket going on at 4am for that football game. Good to see you are well
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    At that price I would grind the brisket up into hamburger meat.  Nice setup; minus the snow.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

Thanks

Another month and the snow should be going away. I'm planning on a new L shaped table and pavers. If all goes good, I should have my old table for a give away this summer.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Nice find at Sam's. The Sam's in Rochester doesn't seem to have brisket, or at least I don't recall any. My local grocer has a great meat dept. I talked to the meat manager last week about getting some prime briskets and he said he'd look into it.

Today I picked up two prime packers for 3.99/lb!! I feel like going back Monday and buying the rest of the case at that price, even though my freezer is way too full the way it is.

Nice setup too!!! 
  • bigguy136
    Options

I put a 16 lb brisket on at 5:30PM and pulled at 11:00PM. Half hour rest and sliced up. A bit late to be eating this late but yum

@Cashfan I would drive to Rochester to get prime brisket for $3.99/ lb. Nice score!

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Cashfan
    Options
    @bigguy136  Good looking cook!

It was actually at Faraway Foods in Stewartville, about 15 min south of Rochester. If you called them they would hold them for you. They got in a case of prime packer briskets on Friday, and I bought two. Don't know how many they have in a case, but they should have some for a while. They often have choice packer briskets for 2.99/lb; all briskets I've seen there range from 12-18lbs.
  • Shurdaddy
    Options
    Cashfan said:

It was actually at Faraway Foods in Stewartville, about 15 min south of Rochester. If you called them they would hold them for you. They got in a case of prime packer briskets on Friday, and I bought two. Don't know how many they have in a case, but they should have some for a while. They often have choice packer briskets for 2.99/lb; all briskets I've seen there range from 12-18lbs.
    Thanks for the info. I'm over in Lewiston and have not had any luck finding packers at a decent price. I'll head to Stewy sometime this week!
    Lewiston, MN  LBGE
  • Cashfan
    Options
    Shurdaddy said:
    Cashfan said:

Thanks for the info. I'm over in Lewiston and have not had any luck finding packers at a decent price. I'll head to Stewy sometime this week!
    Glad I could help! Nice to see someone close on the forum, its a small world. They often have sales on full loins, briskets, ribs. I'd be happy to keep an eye out for something and let you know if they have something your interested in. I really like their meat, haven't had a bad cut yet.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    @bigguy136, 5.5 hours for a 16 pounder? Even at 320, that came out really nice looking. What is missing that I haven't learned about yet?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
  • bigguy136
    Options
    Mosca said:
    @bigguy136, 5.5 hours for a 16 pounder? Even at 320, that came out really nice looking. What is missing that I haven't learned about yet?

I got the short school version from Cooper's BBQ in Llano, TX. I've been following their advice for several years and this is my best brisket method. They said never cook a brisket for more than 6 hours and foil part way thru the cook. If I want very juicy brisket, I foil at 145° IT. If you want more bark, foil at 175°. This one I foiled at 168° IT and it had some nice crisp bits of bark after resting.

Another thing I do is separate the point and flat before cooking. The point cooks quicker so I put it on about 45 minutes after the flat and they both hit 205° within a few minutes of each other. Why overcook your point waiting for the flat to get done? 

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options
    The rub I use is 2 tablespoons black pepper, course sea salt and garlic per every 12 lbs of meat.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    Mosca said:

I got the short school version from Cooper's BBQ in Llano, TX. I've been following their advice for several years and this is my best brisket method. They said never cook a brisket for more than 6 hours and foil part way thru the cook. If I want very juicy brisket, I foil at 145° IT. If you want more bark, foil at 175°. This one I foiled at 168° IT and it had some nice crisp bits of bark after resting.

Another thing I do is separate the point and flat before cooking. The point cooks quicker so I put it on about 45 minutes after the flat and they both hit 205° within a few minutes of each other. Why overcook your point waiting for the flat to get done? 

Thank goodness someone agrees with me about separating. The other part I've never heard, and I think I need to know more before I try it myself. But it is intriguing.