Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about using / cleaning / seasoning Cast Iron

Options
i have cast iron half moon grids for my XLBGE. 

First - what's the proper way to clean them after a cook?

2nd - if I use a steel scrub brush to get off the real caked on stuff, do I have to re-season it then?

3rd - what is the proper way to season these grids if they are in need

lastly, please share with me any wisdom you have that will help me make the most of my cast iron. 

PS - I also have a lodge skillet that I'm sure this info will apply to as well. Thanks in advance for the help. 
XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Brush them with oil, I use Safflower, but you can use just about anything.  Place in your oven or Egg at 400 for 30 or so minutes.  Let them cool completely.   You can repeat a couple of times or call it good.

When cooking on them, spray on some oil.  Leave it in the Egg when you are done.  The next time you are ready to cook, heat up the egg with the grills, spray some water on them and scrub it a bit.  I use a wire brush.  The cooking keeps them seasoned.

I have used CI Grates on my small and large for the past several years with great results.

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • jmatt1230
    Options
    Kosher salt, cut a potato in half for anything that needs to be scrubbed.