Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Hog Shoulder

Options
Seasoned up a whole shoulder off a small hog I caught last weekend. Threw it on the egg this morning. Just went home to check temp and still rockin along at 275. Looks good so far. 

Little Rock, AR

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Came home for lunch late and IT was 200. Pulled it and foiled it. Looks good. 

Little Rock, AR

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    Looks great!  I'd eat that for sure.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Yes!  That does look good!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Caught indicates more bravery than I have. Personally I prefer to kill them from a distance
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    That looks very very nice.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Caught indicates more bravery than I have. Personally I prefer to kill them from a distance
    In a trap. They were mean as sh!t too. 

Little Rock, AR

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Got home and pulled it. Its pretty doggone good. Waiting on wife to get home to plate it up. 

Little Rock, AR

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Looks awesome! Whats the flavor like? Gamey pork?
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Tastes like smoked pork. Maybe a little gamey but not bad at all. 

Little Rock, AR

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Kinda wish there were feral hogs in the timber up here.  =)
    Looks good man.  I'd hit that.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Looks really good. 
    @Focker You really don't want feral hogs up there. We have them in Texas and they're impossible to get rid of.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mighty fine looking grub my friend. Awesome job.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm starting to get the impression that you are one of the Pork Gods my friend =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Looks really good. 
    @Focker You really don't want feral hogs up there. We have them in Texas and they're impossible to get rid of.
    i bet our maine coyotes would keep the population down, i think they are back near my house again, the woods were silent this morning where i take the dog.  our coyotes are wolf crosses
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've asked this question to a number of people that hunt wild hog's.
    Do wild hogs have the same problem domestic hogs used to have with parasites?

• Toxarch
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Looks really good. 
    i bet our maine coyotes would keep the population down, i think they are back near my house again, the woods were silent this morning where i take the dog.  our coyotes are wolf crosses
    In Texas, all the wolves were bred with coyotes long ago so there's no more pure wolf blood line anymore, but we do have a LOT of coyotes. We also have mountain lions and lots of hunters and trappers. Last year they flew a helicopter for a week over 3600 acres and shot every pig they saw. Within a month, we were trapping 15-20 in a weekend in the same area. Imagine rabbits, only they breed more often (3 litters per year) and have larger litters than rabbits.
    GregW said:

What kind of parasites, like ticks, fleas, trichinosis, tuberculosis, brucellosis (sp?), and pseudorabies (not dangerous to humans, but is to domestic cattle, sheep, etc.)? Most of the wild hogs are feral hogs which means they are descended from domestic hogs so I would imagine they are susceptible to all the same diseases.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Toxarch said:
    Looks really good. 
    In Texas, all the wolves were bred with coyotes long ago so there's no more pure wolf blood line anymore, but we do have a LOT of coyotes. We also have mountain lions and lots of hunters and trappers. Last year they flew a helicopter for a week over 3600 acres and shot every pig they saw. Within a month, we were trapping 15-20 in a weekend in the same area. Imagine rabbits, only they breed more often (3 litters per year) and have larger litters than rabbits.
    GregW said:

What kind of parasites, like ticks, fleas, trichinosis, tuberculosis, brucellosis (sp?), and pseudorabies (not dangerous to humans, but is to domestic cattle, sheep, etc.)? Most of the wild hogs are feral hogs which means they are descended from domestic hogs so I would imagine they are susceptible to all the same diseases.

I just did a search and found this:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/05/110502-wild-pigs-parasites-animals-pork-science-health-nation/

I do agree the hogs have became a major issue and killing/reducing the population of them is very important.

I just don't know how safe they are to eat.
    I'm sure cooking to a safe temperature is the key to safe consumption of wild hogs or any meat.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Wild boar is great stuff, glad you smoked it up.  Some of the best sausage I've had was wild...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Looks really good. 
    The coyotes won't keep hogs from multiplying. Trap or shoot every one you can or else they will take over. when I was a kid ranchers kept them in check by killing them. As absentee landowners have increased (they are not on the place daily) I have seen the hog population go nuts. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Toxarch
    Options
    GregW said:mm
    Toxarch said:
    Toxarch said:
    Looks really good. 
    GregW said:

I just did a search and found this:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/05/110502-wild-pigs-parasites-animals-pork-science-health-nation/

I do agree the hogs have became a major issue and killing/reducing the population of them is very important.

I just don't know how safe they are to eat.
    I'm sure cooking to a safe temperature is the key to safe consumption of wild hogs or any meat.
    I have eaten plenty of it and I know people who have eaten lots of it. Never been sick from it. There's lots of places that buy them, fatten them up and them butcher them. I know feral hog prices were higher than domestic hogs. Don't know if they still are.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.