Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does Temperature Matter?

Options
I'm getting to the point where I don't CARE how hot it is for certain things.
The exceptions would be PIZZA (making my 2nd 2lb blob of dough for tomorrow NOW) and most direct cooks.
The OTHER exception would be a long term smoke which I'll concede should never go above maybe 275 or so……you be the judge.  

It it's 300?   Takes longer.   If it's 500, turn it down and let the cold food drag the temp down some.  It'll work out.

That Weber Charcoal Chimney is a monster and I can light an XL in if not record time, than very EVENLY and cook 6 steaks and corn-on-the-cob for 6 without 'cold spots' or any adjustments being needed.   

Comments

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    OOOPS!  
    Delete ''and most direct cooks" from line 2, above!   
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    +1 on what @nolaegghead said. I've super turboed butts at 450 and limped along at 275. All were great. Same w chicken, chops etc. I'm more picky about my steaks. But even my pizzas can cook at 350 or 650
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I have reached the same conclusion.  Being able to set the temperature on a BGE allows me to time things, so that they are ready for supper.  I have switched to "turbo", and "turbo" works with a fairly wide range of temperatures.   The exception is reverse sear, but even with the reverse sear the temperatures getting to the stage where you switch to direct cooking are not all that critical.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Totally agree for quite some time I have wondered why so many micro manage the temp. If baking things like cakes, cookies, breads and pizza it's certainly more critical. But for 98% of cooks the hotter the fire the faster the cook and vice versa. Yes Turbo cooks are for me the only way to do butts and Brisket. Good luck to all and the great part is we are all correct in the way we cook on our Big Green Eggs and other heat sources. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    It is not all about temperature (all though that is the factor that  drives the finish-line).
    I put great value on the SWMBO eggscape time afforded by the BGE mystic and the BGE cook temp definitely drives the duration.  As is always with the BGE-many roads will get you there. Decide the value proposition and run with it.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Depends on what is being egged/cooked. Texture could suffer if to low on certain cooks. But, yes +1 on what @nolaegghead said. Agreed
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I only care about the temp in relation to timing the meal. Within reasonable limits of course. It's the recipe follower mentality. I always say cooking is without many boundaries, while baking is coloring within the lines only. I don't bake much. No diciipline.