Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella (12 " pan) on a SBGE

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,385
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Turns out, if you want to cook paella and the audience is small you can get there with a 12" pan (as measured across the top-no handles included) on the SBGE.  (Handles are great for maintaining an even keel for the duration.)  The dome closes quite well. Here's a pic of the cook in progress, and yes I did let it run a bit long.  The soccarat was more crunchy than carmelized but I'll take it.  
FWIW-Here's a great reference:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    That looks great!  I haven't ventured into paella land yet.

Glad to see you posting a cook. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Nice job. Paella is a family favorite for us. After the third try I had it figured out. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Very nice cap!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice! I only have a 17" for my XL, I need to add a 12" for my Small.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @DMW- I have done this cook a few times on the SBGE and it is great for a small gathering.  I fill the lump just into the fire ring and then go from there.  Nowhere near the vertical clearance you have with the L or XL BGE so you must pay more attention than I did today.  Regardless, a fun cook in a smaller sitting.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking grub brother.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• chadpsualum
    Options
    That looks great! I did my first Paella yesterday (13" on a LBGE). I will have to pair down the recipe as I was overflowing the pan with food.

North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    That looks great! I did my first Paella yesterday (13" on a LBGE). I will have to pair down the recipe as I was overflowing the pan with food.

I like your style brother. You should post this cook. It looks excellent.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.