Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mixed bag: wings, wurst, & SV carrots (pics)

Options
Hello All,
Had a buddy taking care of the main meal last night (shrimp and crayfish etouffee) so I focused on apps and a side. Inspired by recent posts here I decided to do SV carrots for the side. Planned on 1 hr at 183F with butter and light seasonings. The SV really struggled to heat my very large container to 183 and I had dropped the carrots in before it was up to temp so the these ramped from ~140 to 183 then hung out for about an hour. In the end they were still VERY good. Tons of carrot flavor with a nice cooked but not mushy texture. highly recommended for any of the SV folks out there.

For wings I did Johnny Trigg chicken seasoning (ANOTHER well deserved shout out to @Proser!) plus baking soda in a ziplock then shook them around like crazy. Put them on a rack to dry a bit then onto the Egg, 375F raised indirect.

Threw on some cheddarwurst at the same time and gave the sausages a nice coating of Blues Hog Smoky mountain thinned out with apple cider vinegar. Sprinkled on a bit of Julio's seasoning and some Plowboy's Yardbird just to put the wurst way over the top. Let everything go for about 1 hr then gave the sausages another coat of sauce and pulled the wings for saucing. Wing sauce was 3/4 stick butter plus siracha and 4 cloves of garlic. Cooked the garlic in the butter very low heat before adding the siracha and the sauce ended up being much sweeter and less spicy than I intended but REALLY good. After saucing wings put them back on for about 45min (guest chef & family was running late), which was probably about 10 more than the wings really needed. In the en everything was really good, but the wings LOOK burnt (they were not!).

Long post I know, but lots of stuff. Really enjoyed everything I mad as well as the beer and food brought by others. Pretty much the definition of a win in my book (aside from being too full to sleep comfortably afterwards, haha!)

Cheers all -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI