Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing help

i see lots of post using corn starch on the wings to crisp them up. Does this work? What method do you use to introduce the corn starch? Any help on wings will be appreciated..
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Yes it works.  I've done wing a lot of ways - marinate in sauce first then cook vs rub then cook then sauce, etc.  The best wings I have ever made (and the only way I make them now) were made with corn starch.

I put the wings in a gallon ziplock and pour in some cornstarch and roll them around until they are all coated.  If you have too much, that's OK because cornstarch is really cheap.  I leave them in the refrigerator for at least an hour.  Then when I put them on the grill (with or without additional rub) I bang them on the grate a little to get any extra cornstarch off.  Cook them indirect (some prefer direct) at 350 or so (325 - 400 OK) until the cornstarch browns.  Then I take them off and drop them in a big bowl with sauce in it and swirl them around until they are covered in it and put them back on the grill for about 5 minutes.  Depending on the temp at that point and the sugar content of your sauce they can burn pretty easily as the sauce heats up so watch them closely.  Some people don't even put them back on after saucing.

I hope that helps.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Same as above but I spread them out in a single layer and sprinkle it on with a sifter we have - it's the size of a measuring cup but with a fine wire mesh on the bottom.  I also use baking powder most of the time as it's less clumpy and has corn starch in it.  Best to have the wings somewhat dry, you don't want them sloppy wet or the cs will soak up that moisture rather than draw it out of the skin.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Here's what I use as a wand to lightly powder my chicken pieces and parts. It's an extremely fine mesh tea strainer. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.