Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low temp smoke question ? Help needed

Options
Alton
Alton Posts: 509
when smoking homemade  sausage or cheese at a low temp (150-200 ). What is tha ratio chunks to lump? Usually when smoking brisket or butts I put three or four large chunks with a full box of lump for the 12hr plus cook? 
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    Options
    It's really hard to get the low temp for smoking cheese. check out this link. Hope it helps
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedcheese/smokedcheese.htm
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I use and would recommend the Amaz N Pellet smoker for cold smoking.  Note that cheese takes on smoke easily, I would go light and not too long to start  I have seen a cold smoke method that uses 4 briquettes and thin splits of smoke wood.  You do not want heat, for sure do not "build a fire".  Google Cold Smoking Cheese, you will find something for sure.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I use and would recommend the Amaz N Pellet smoker for cold smoking.  
    This^^^^^^. The AMPS works like a dream for cheese. No chance of run away temps. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.