Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks and Such - Simple Perfection (pics)

Options
DonWW
DonWW Posts: 424

It’s the 4th of July which means some lump charcoal will meet its demise.  I was shopping at my local Central Market and picketed up 2 tenderloin steaks and 1 NY Strip.  The difference in coloring between the two cuts is notable.  The NY Strip is a dry aged and not grass fed, which was also available.      

Lately, I have been using a pair of Kent Rathburn rubs that I picked up when he was doing a demonstration outside the Central Market.  One is a general purpose BBQ rub; salt, pepper, paprika, brown sugar, etc.  The rub on the right is salt, pepper, garlic. 

While I was applying rubs, food was already on the BGE cooking.  Ellen and I love ABTs.  Jalapeno poppers to some.  And, Central Market has some that are already pre-made, so if you are shopping at 4:00 and you want to eat around 7:00, this is the way to go.  A couple of skewers of ABTs and a tater for good measure. 

The egg was about 400 dome temperature which means that the grate temp is between 350-375.  Just about perfect.  The poppers and potato go on the same time with the intention of flipping each after about 15 minutes to get even cooking.    

After about 40 minutes, the steaks go on.  I put the tenderloins near the center as they are a tad thicker.  Close the dome and return in 6 minutes.  The timing is working perfectly as the poppers are ready to come off and the steaks are flipped.  Everything comes off in another 6 minutes or so.

I know some people cook their steaks at 500, 600 or more.  I have found that 350-400 allows for a very uniform cook throughout the steak while still creating a nice crust.  Juicy?  Those steaks are glistening. 

The steaks were a perfect medium rare, which is ideal.  The NY strip pictured here was more of a medium as it is a thinner cut of meat.  But, as is so typical of steaks prepared on the BGE, it was so tender and juicy, the slight difference in doneness was inconsequential.

As for the ABTs, they are remarkable.  The package had only 6 compared to 8, so they were a little bit bigger with a little more cream cheese filling.  There is some residual cheese sitting on the lump – this will be flavoring for the next cook.  Sometimes, it all comes together, as it did tonight.

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Very nice! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Outstanding. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Bravo Sir.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA