Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru - Butts - HELP!!

Options
So at last check, dome to was 226 at 4:45. Just woke up at 6:45 and the guru fan had fallen off and the dome temp was 190. Have I lost the fire and need to throw these butts in the oven? I plugged the fan back up and the temp went Dow to 186. Now 190 again. Should I be good to go??

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Nothing to worry about; as long as you've still got a fire!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    What size butt and when were you planning to serve?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    As the previous reply, if you have fire, add air and it will come back up. I am completing an overnight with no guru fan and my temp dropped to 100 around 5am, adjusted the daisy wheel and opened the bottom vent  a bit and the temp came back up to my desired 250 within the hour.

No sweat with the BGE!
  • Amphiman
    Amphiman Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm cooking a 13 pound butt at the moment. My temp was down to 195 at 8:00 am. I was low on fuel and had to reload and relit a small area with my looftlighter. At 9:00 it was back to 250 deg. I bought a Turbo Grate and it seems it runs a litter hotter than the standard grate.
    Morse Lake - Indianapolis, IN    Large BGE + Cyber-Q
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    What is your IT and what time are you planning to serve?
    Options
    So at last check, dome to was 226 at 4:45. Just woke up at 6:45 and the guru fan had fallen off and the dome temp was 190. Have I lost the fire and need to throw these butts in the oven? I plugged the fan back up and the temp went Dow to 186. Now 190 again. Should I be good to go??
    You probably have this figured out by now, but if the temp started back up, you have a fire and you should be good to go.  If you start running out of time, you can crank the temp up to 275 with no ill effects to finish them off.  Butts are very forgiving.

One other note - I presume that the guru has a temp probe for the grill.  Do you have it clipped to the grid or up inside on the thermometer?  I always put mine on the grid and shoot for 225 (for butts), as you did.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX