Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking butt without thawing first

Options
I've done this twice now just take butt out of freezer little olive oil so rub with stick and go straight on the egg turned out great both times.

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    what temp and how long did it take?
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    7lb probably  average 280 temp about 14 hrs
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have cooked them frozen solid with ice on them before. With just a little trickery and mojo, no one can tell the difference.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    It's nice if you decide to cook one last minute like I do alot.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    @SGH, you need to work on your trimming skills, especially around the MM  :-)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SGH, you need to work on your trimming skills, especially around the MM  :-)
    It's untrimmed. It's also frozen rock solid. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    How do you trim a frozen chunk of meat? Chainsaw?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I recall husker doing one last year where he drilled a hole into it to get his probe to go in.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Have done several frozen myself....  They came out of the deep freeze solid as a rock; and I'll tell ya, its tricky handling a frozen butt.  Hard part is getting the rub to stick.  I'm an EVOO or Peanut Oil guy; and that on a frozen butt makes for a slippery time!

I had to wait a few hours before I could get my iGrill probe in; and it still was 28 degrees.....

Haven't tried to turbo a frozen one yet......  That's next!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!