Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron cap loose And floppy.

Options
new XL and I can't find this on the search or a Google search. My daisy and the other part that moves open is really loose. Saw a hack that fixes it but can't find that now. It's floppy loose. I could add another washer?
is the smokewear cap a good replacement?  Thanks!  

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Mine just has a screw to tighten...works for me
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    There used to be a good photo representation of what I'm going to try and explain floating around here and if somebody can find it, please post it. That being said, keep the screw on the daisy wheel at the front of the Egg always. As you adjust it, keep it at the front and imagine a straight line going through the screw, through the center of the circle part that moves to the back of the egg. That line should be 90 to the front of the egg at all times. When you do this, it will NOT move when you raise and lower the dome of the Egg. Damn! I wish I had those pictures now to better show you what I mean.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Griffin said:
    There used to be a good photo representation of what I'm going to try and explain floating around here and if somebody can find it, please post it. That being said, keep the screw on the daisy wheel at the front of the Egg always. As you adjust it, keep it at the front and imagine a straight line going through the screw, through the center of the circle part that moves to the back of the egg. That line should be 90 to the front of the egg at all times. When you do this, it will NOT move when you raise and lower the dome of the Egg. Damn! I wish I had those pictures now to better show you what I mean.
    ^^^^^^^This

I have pics somewhere
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Here's a pictorial of how to keep the DFMT from swinging
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#dwinfo

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Griffin
    Options

Rowlett, Texas

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited June 2015
    Options
    you always want the raised bump on the daisy pointing at 12 o'clock no matter where your settings are. If you do that, your daisy will never move when you open and close the lid. Your daisy should be pretty loose but it will firm up after a few cooks. I like mine loose and easy to adjust.

• Griffin
    Options
    After using your Egg for a while, there will be buildup on the daisy wheel and it won't move as easily.

Rowlett, Texas

• snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Should I be able to lift the first top up a 1/4 inch?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Should I be able to lift the first top up a 1/4 inch?
    probably not. can you tighten the screw a little? once it gets some gunk in it from a few months worth of cooks it tightens up quite a bit.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Griffin said:
    except you would want the bump (shown here at 10-11 o'clock) to be pointed to 12 ' clock, where in this photo it would be dissected by that yellow line as well. If you were to open a the dome with a loose daisy with this config, the extra weight of the knob would cause it to fall to 12 once you opened the dome. if you have the main screw, the center screw and the knob all lined up at 12, then the daisy will stay right where you set it. I'll go take a pic real quick.

• snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Neither screw on the daisy wheel tightens down at all. Thing just is sloppy loose. My large was like a machine.  Smoothie and tight. This, not so much.  
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I want to thank ya'll for the info, now I know also. I find myself constantly learning from this forum.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Neither screw on the daisy wheel tightens down at all. Thing just is sloppy loose. My large was like a machine.  Smoothie and tight. This, not so much.  
    Sounds like for some reason your bolts are bottoming out. Just get a washer or two, back out the bolts, add the washer(s) and tighten down.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Bought a smokeware cap just for the hell of it. I'll add some washers to the other and see what happens.