Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VOCs in smoking wood?

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
I've been slowly reading through Eric Mitchell's Smoke it like a Pro.  His general method is to light the fire, let it sneak up on the target temp, and then add his smoking wood (he uses chunks) and then waiting for the smoke to clear from the smoking wood.  Then he adds the food.
First time I've heard of doing this, and I doubt I could do it as (up until now) I've only used chips.  Anyone else do this?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I've always heard and read that you need to let the white smoke you get when you first add the wood calm down to the thin blue smoke that is best for smoking. I've heard this referred to as a clean fire. If you come down the fire too quickly and get white smoke, this is a dirty fire. Aaron Franklin has a great video on this.

I can't say for sure if this white smoke contains VOC's, but I would assume so. I know it contains creosote which is not good tasting. 

Thus white smoke is bad, thin blue is good. In my limited experience this is what I've learned.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I've always heard and read that you need to let the white smoke you get when you first add the wood calm down to the thin blue smoke that is best for smoking. I've heard this referred to as a clean fire. 
    Yes, I've always done this for the lump, but never for the smoking wood before.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Thin blue is what your looking for. However, it's a pain in the a** to pull the platesetter to add wood chunks for indirect Q'ing. Thus I just mix in chunks with the lump & let it come to temp.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I get my temp started, then throw in the indirect rig (I use the AR) after some chunks of wood. Once the smoke is pure, on goes the meat. My wife is very sensitive to bad smoke, so she keeps me honest. I use OO charcoal too which is nice and clean.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE