Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast - Trial Run

Options
LDR
LDR Posts: 414
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum

I did an eight pound turkey breast today, thinking I need to practice some times and temps.  I want to see how it comes out using 300 at the grid, and sometime later I'll try it at a lower temperature.

I used a fairly generic brine, but put in more sugar than usual, by accident.

1 cup kosher salt

1 cup light brown sugar

2 packages of Knorr's homestyle vegetable stock

Enough water to dissolve the above when heated a bit - about three quarts.

Some ice to cool it back down

Enough water to fill to the brim of the pot when the breast was in there (AKA enough water to make her say "You're going to spill that.")

In the brine, in the fridge, at 10:00 AM

Full load of Ozark Oak

4 medium sized chunks of Apple wood

Lit with a MAPP torch in two spots

Running at 300 degrees grid, which was at felt level

Plate setter legs up in the woo

Drip pan with just water, set on the plate setter, with a small wire rack for separation

Rinsed off the turkey, patted it dry and then rubbed with a half stick of butter and two tablespoons of sage.  No skin prep, such as air drying or corn starch

In the egg at 4:36 PM

Pulled at 163 degrees at 7:02 PM

So, that's slightly under 2.5 hours for an 8 pound bone-in breast at 300 raised grid indirect.

Changes for the next time:

It was very moist, but I'd pull at 161 next time.

Only use two chunks of wood next time.  I'd say the amount of smoke is right for sandwiches, but it was a little heavy on its own.

Do some air drying and/or corn starch prep on the skin.  Maybe corn starch mixed with Woody's instead of the butter/sage.  I like crispy skin, but even the butter coating didn't get it to the point I like.  However, the dog was happy.

------------------------------------------------

Anybody tried FTC to hold turkey breast?  I suppose there wouldn't be enough temperature and mass to hold above the danger zone very well, but I've not tried it. I'd guess it might be good for an hour, maybe long enough to get to a picnic or to compensate for being ready too early.