Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Birthday Weekend!!

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
Although today is actually my birthday, I considered this past weekend to be my birthday weekend. Mrs. G's birthday is on Thursday, so next weekend will be her birthday weekend. Sucks that she has to share it with Father's Day, but oh well.

Started off by partying with this guy Friday night. My how things changed. We tried to watch a movie after he fell asleep. Didn't make it through it, we both fell asleep. Haha.
 Got a couple presents on Saturday. The pot is a 6 qt cast iron enamel DO. While I wouldn't have picked that color blue, Academy had it on sale for $30. Half off. the red one was $60. Been impressed with the Tumbler and Colster so far.
 Saturday night Mrs. G wanted to try a recipe she found for risotto. Baked. In the oven. It actually worked and no stirring required. Pretty nifty and would be great for week nights. Although I would have liked to grill the shrimp, we just steamed them as there were thunderstorms and I didn't want to stand in the rain.
 Sunday, I decided I wanted ribs. And ABTs. So that's what we had cuz its MY Birthday weekend. And Kroger had them on sale pretty damn cheap.
Speaking of Kroger's sale. They had pork butts for $0.99 a lb. So I picked one up. No time to cook it before next weekend, so my question is how long will a vac packed butt last in the fridge? Or should I freeze it till I know I'm gonna use it?
That is all. Carry on.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well Happy Birthday big guy! Your little one is getting big. No doubt the food was great!

Happy Birthday to Mrs. G!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Happy Birthday to you and your wife.  Sounds like you guys are tired from getting up in the middle of the night.  Hopefully the little guy will settle in soon.  A lot of us have been there with you.  Good looking kid, food and presents.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Happy birthday, Griff!! Nice eats and birthday swag :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Thanks @TexanOfTheNorth it was.

Thanks @Ladeback69 We went through a phase where he was sleeping through the night. And then he started teething and that ended and then Saturday and Sunday he slept through again, so we'll see...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Mine was this past weekend, and the wife's is this coming Friday, so she shares the weekend b-days with Fathers day as well.
    Great looking cooks as always! 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Little one is growing fast and looks pretty happy.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Fry you a whole pot of tots in that DO. Happy Berfday
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Happy Birthday to both of you! Nice cooks.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Happy birthday Griffin!  Nice gifts too!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Happy Birthday!  Care to share the risotto recipe?
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You have a kid. No more birthdays 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Happy Birthday to you and Mrs. G.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Happy birthday.  Good looking cook, and your question about the but... Li would not hesitate to leave it I the fridge for a week, or to the sell by date - whichever is later.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Happy Birthday to you and your Mrs. :joy: 
    The risotto looks spot on. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    Happy Birthday "neighbor"!   I agree with Sea2Ski....keep it in the fridge til the Sell By Date.....and then maybe a couple days after.  Should be okay up to that point
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight