Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody ever egged chicken thighs on salt block?

Options
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thanks 
Shane

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    No; but cooks at yesterday's TO Eggfest were given a set of salt blocks. I'd be interested in hearing how your's turn out if you do them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I'll report back
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I have a brand new salt block sitting here staring at me. My wife won't eat shrimp, so I haven't come up with anything to cook on it. I will be watching to see how chicken turns out. 

May the force be with you!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I have a brand new salt block sitting here staring at me. My wife won't eat shrimp, so I haven't come up with anything to cook on it. I will be watching to see how chicken turns out. 

May the force be with you!
    The recipe book for mine has a recipe for "tofu with sesame seeds and maple syrup"... let me know if you want me to give that to you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I'd love the sesame, maple recipe, please.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I'd love the sesame, maple recipe, please.
    Oh, okay. I'll get it tonight when I get home and post it here.
    Options
    If you do the thighs, I would suggest just for the sear, and get it hot all the way through. I've never done chicken, but my first attempt at scallops, the block wasn't hot enough and they took a little longer and were waaaaayy salty. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @cul-de-sac-er here's the tofu recipe:

I cooked some some fresh spinach and mushroom on a salt block that turned out great. I did not add any liquid for fear that it would get too salty. I might try a pat of butter next time.
    San Angelo, texas