Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium lid won't close all the way

Options
Looks like the bolt on the spring is bent a little and possibly need to adjust the band very slightly.  I'm assuming just let it burn out tonight and tackle it in the morning?  I don't really have a means to transfer the coals anywhere. 
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Sounds like your dome has shifted within the bands somehow. You might want to try to force it closed while wearing high heat mitts and pushing on the ceramic dome itself and not pulling on the handle! Depending on the amount of burning lump your gasket may be toast my morning unless you can get the dome and base back in the same plane pretty soon tonight. Good luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    sounds like a good time for a clean burn and adult bev
    Pushing on the dome @RPP ? Not to worried about the gasket, it's a rutland that you sent me.  =)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Pushing on the dome @RPP ? Not to worried about the gasket, it's a rutland that you sent me.  =)
    I wondered! Then NO your BGE will not damage that gasket! Do you want my suggestion on re-setting your dome? And I do mean the word "setting" LOL!
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I would always appreciate the advice of a Jedi such as yourself @RPP
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Forgive me that I didn't see the permatex leaking off the gasket until I took this picture. Ha ha
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Sorry, going to bump this to see if any one has any suggestions, I hate seeing the Ozark Oak I just obtained burning unnecessarily. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Am I over thinking this or is it just loosen the bands, reposition the dome and tighten the band's back? Sorry for stupid questions I'm at work and will have minimal sunlight when I get home to see what I'm doing
  • RRP
    Options
    I would always appreciate the advice of a Jedi such as yourself @RPP
    Here you go:

First carefully remove both springs from the hinge. That is easier to do when they are relaxed in the open position.

Next loosen all the nuts in the hinge and the two bent bolts in the band - so the bands are free to move easily. Now line up the edges to your satisfaction. Now here is a tricky part....maybe a child or wife can help you...place a 2 x 4 on the dome opening and exert strong constant pressure on it pressing the dome firmly against the base. I did this myself using two 4 foot long wood working clamps. Or another method is have your son sit on a board on the dome! While you re-tighten  first the band bolts and then all the hinge bolts. Replace springs. That should resolve your issue....however...

Are you familiar with the popular dollar bill test? Close your dome on a dollar bill and see if it is relatively difficult to pull out. Do this all the way around your dome. If you find a space of little resistance it actually will be a sizable space and will either be at the front or the back. If loose in the front then open the dome and based on how big you think the gap is in terms of the thickness of a 25 cent piece then place 1, 2 or 3 quarters stacked on the edge of your base. Now close your dome and carefully loosen the top band bolt, press down to reset the positioning and tighten. Remove quarters and your plane should be ok. I have only known one person needing 3 quarters 2 is most common.

Ron  - aka RRP

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Thank you Ron for such a detailed description on how to do it. Will be giving it a whirl shortly
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Where do you put the quarters, opposite of the gap? Or just at 90 degrees from the gap? 

If the gap is a 12o clock, put quarters at 3,6,9 o clock?

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• RRP
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Where do you put the quarters, opposite of the gap? Or just at 90 degrees from the gap? 

If the gap is a 12o clock, put quarters at 3,6,9 o clock?
    Always opposite side from the gap. So like in your example if the gap is at 12 place the quarters at 6.  What you are doing is getting the dome to shift ever so slightly within the band.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Ok, so I got to play with it for about twenty minutes before kids activities on a Friday night got in the way. The lid is closing all the way now. My medium only has one spring. I looked at my large and it has two springs the medium only has one. I still have a little bit of a underbite which I'm hoping to address tomorrow. Should I replace the bolt holding the spring as it is bent a little? The two springs on my my large have very straight bolts holding them in place. 

I just really wanted to make sure the Egg would close as we have snow/sleet/ freezing rain coming over the next few days. So that has been accomplished. Now looking for perfection. 
  • RRP
    Options
    No need to replace the bent bolt unless you can't tighten it. Your quest for perfection is admirable, but may not be attainable!