Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL

Options
Well after many years of dreaming my wife surprised me with an awesome XL BGE. I have cooked on a inexpensive Akorn that did a good job but now starting in a new league. I want to make a meal that a novice can do and wow her, any suggestions from the more experienced crowd? Any first timer tips? Already checked the dome thermometer and 10 degrees off but will use my maverick to monitor meats and internal temps. Appreciate the advice!
XL BGE, Akorn and one very old Ducane... 
HUSKER Football, UK Basketball (Went to 2 good sports schools)  
Washington Mo.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

Welcome aboard.

It's hard to know what will "wow" your wife without knowing what you have cooked on your Akorn.  The XL egg is a great pizza machine and with the added size it can do some pretty big ones.  It's also great for whole racks of ribs, or large numbers of steaks/burgers.  And spatchcock chicken is always a good call.

Plus, you can also use the real estate to cook meat and veggies.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Cook something that you have cooked in the past and do well.  The difference in how it cooks will be amazing.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Congradulations on the new egg and welcome aboard. It's hard to go wrong with Ribeyes and shrimp.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    I'll second Scotty here. Hard to beat a Trex or reverse seared steak on the egg. Use the XL to your advantage and prepare the entire meal on it. People are "wowd" by the versatility of the egg, so go for it. Steak, potatoes, asparagus, etx. Use your imagination!!
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    i would suggest cooking whatever you had success with thr AKOM. Ribs or Ribeyes.
  • Cookinslow
    Options
    I got a XL a couple of years ago for Father's Day. Best gift ever. Try a Boston Butt as a low and slow, you can't go wrong. Everything I have ever cooked has been good.. Just read the forum and follow the advice from fellow eggheads and you will do well
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I would recommend that you keep the temperature low for the first few cooks. Keep it under 450, I would do a nice whole chicken with some baked potatoes and asparagus. Cut the potatoes in half put salt and butter in between and wrap them into foil at 350 indirect, they will take about 1.5 hours to cook. Get a whole chicken and throw it on a beer can and season it to your liking, put a drip pan underneath (on the plate setter) and cook for about an hour. Remove the plate setter and ramp up the temp to 450 and add asparagus five minutes before its all done. Remove and serve and she will be blown away.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Welcome! I would buy a woo2 from the ceramic grill store and spatchcock 2 chickens direct at
    The felt line at 400degrees. If I could only have one BGE it would be the XL. If I could only cook one food on them it would be spatchcock chickens! Have fun fun. Lots of help here!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Welcome. I'm a new member also. Had my x-large for about 9 months and I LOVE it. Cedar plank salmon is an easy cook. The x-large has plenty of room for a full meal. I use 2fire bricks in the box when I need a direct and indirect cook. And a third brick cut in thirds to raise a second grate. Enjoy