Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
Got my backwoods today. Its not one of their full on competition cookers but its pretty cool. About to load it up and start the seasoning process and grabbed a couple shoulders for tomorrow. I'm gettin drunk for Christmas!.image.image

Comments

• Lit
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Woo hoo! Enjoy, I'd like a vertical someday.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sweet!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    Options
    Congrats!  Santa was good to you...
    LBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice... Are you gonna name your unit? :D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Willie Bobo?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lit
    Options
    Thanks guys. Not sure its big enough to be considered a unit. @henapple‌ not enough drinks yet to agree to Willie Bobo. It is officially getting fired up as I type. Got 2 shoulders and some potatoes, parsnips, and onions to break it in tomorrow. I don't go back to work to January 5th this things gonna get broken in good.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Send pics please
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    WOW!! Nice man. Im jealous. In for the pics man. She has quite a few racks. Should be loads of fun. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    That is one nice smoker!

Enjoy it.

I'm writing my letter to Santa now for next year.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    I am sooooo jealous.  Very nice!!  Enjoy!!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Man I am jelly. I wonder how low you can go. Keep us along for the ride
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RickyBobby
    Options
    I have a work buddy who bought a Backwoods smoker this past year and he says there's nothing better! He also cooks on a Komado Joe, but says he prefers the Backwoods for all his slow smokes. I think you are going to be very pleased for sure! Congratulations!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Lit
    Options
    Got it seasoned last night and about to fire it up after some coffee. Got a little heavy handed on the bourbon last night and can feel my pulse in my head right now. Good news for us east coasters I can finally see the sun.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Merry Christmas @Lit‌ Yes, it sounds as though we may see less precipitation and more of the big flaming ball in the sky B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Good luck with the virgin cook. I believe we must have been drinking from the same bottle because I have that pounding sensation as well.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Oh boy @Lit! Congrats on the vertical - I can't wait to see some of the goodness coming out of that thing. Merry Christmas.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Merry Christmas indeed!  Congrats on the Chubby!   
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • grege345
    Options
    Well @Lit‌ how you making out with the vertical? Or did we lose you to a vertical smoker forum?

• Lit
    Options
    @grege345‌ I am really liking it. Its a little more work for set up but not much. Just have to pull the charcoal bin and ash tray then fill and slide back in. I did 2 shoulders and potatoes, parsnips and onions the first cook. Didnt take any pictures cause I was playing around with it but I had it stabilized at 180 and then brought it up to 275 and stabilized it and then dropped it to 225 and let it ride. Ended up taking around 14 hours. I've never seen shoulders jiggle like these did. Looked like 2 big balls of hello. I had to get 2 big spatulas to get them out because they were just falling apart. Yesterday I did 4 chickens and they were almost perfect. Didnt both spatching them just seasoned and threw them in. Had it stabilized at 325 when I put them on and think I should have let it get to 350. The skin was just borderline crispy but I also washed the chicken then patted them dry and seasoned and in the smoker i didn't let them rest in the fridge at all which really helps for crispy skin. I think the coolest part is this thing has no hot spots from what i have seen so far. I did 4 chickens 2 in the front and 2 in the back and they were all within 2 degrees of each other when i pulled them and they all looked exactly the same. I took pics of the chicken cook so i will post them soon.
  • grege345
    Options
    Sounds like a winner. Now I want one!

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @Lit - which model is your Backwoods?
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Lit
    Options
    @minniemoh its a Fat Boy. Heres a couple pics of the chicken this weekend. Gonna do some St Louis style today or tomorrow. Really want to get to RD so I can get a brisket.image.image
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Lit said:
    Thanks guys. Not sure its big enough to be considered a unit. @henapple‌ not enough drinks yet to agree to Willie Bobo. It is officially getting fired up as I type. Got 2 shoulders and some potatoes, parsnips, and onions to break it in tomorrow. I don't go back to work to January 5th this things gonna get broken in good.
    That's what she said :(

Congrats on the new smoker. The chickens look perfect. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Lit said:
    @minniemoh its a Fat Boy. Heres a couple pics of the chicken this weekend. Gonna do some St Louis style today or tomorrow. Really want to get to RD so I can get a brisket.image.image

@Lit

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

SUHWEEETTT!!!!

Dude, you're putting your new toy through a workout. Very nice. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.