Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salado and SXSW

Options
SIL is coming with us and we really want to see some shows. Is it the week before? Any suggestions for hotels concerts etc. TFJ are you out there?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Thursday and Friday are both good days to see live music on South Congress. Most all the bars/restaurants have free live music starting around 11:00am. Any if the hotels close in will be full or expensive
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @L_S- as you are aware, the key to this kingdom is with @Cen_Tex-although I do believe I read where he is taking a pass this coming year to attend @Mickey's most eggcellent fest.  No knowledge about the kilt entry requirement.  Wish I could make that gig!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I was going to send you a message asking if you were gong to grace us with your presence in Salado next year. Will be good to see you again...

... until @henapple 's PBR runs out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SIL is coming with us and we really want to see some shows. Is it the week before? Any suggestions for hotels concerts etc. TFJ are you out there?
    It's normally the week of but I haven't checked the dates for 2015. Bad news- we aren't doing our music venue this year or i would kick Eggcelsior to the curb and host you, your lovely bride, and SIL. Good news- I will be able to spread my special brand of Centex cheer at the pre-party, fest, and post party for the first time.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I just sent you an email
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If Stephan and John will be there the entire time....I'm out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    If Stephan and John will be there the entire time....I'm out.
    smart move.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    TFJ...has here own forum?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Sounds like 2015 is shaping up to be EPIC... Mickey, you might have trouble getting permits in 2016 :D
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Sounds like 2015 is shaping up to be EPIC... Mickey, you might have trouble getting permits in 2016 :D

With you on that
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Mickey said:

Photo Egg said:

Sounds like 2015 is shaping up to be EPIC...
    Mickey, you might have trouble getting permits in 2016 :D

With you on that

I hope not. On my 2016 list of must dos.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm already hung over...
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    SXSW is waaaaay over rated.  Too many people and too many fights downtown.  If you want to see music do it during the day or at night on the outskirts of the city.

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Photo Egg said:

With you on that

Be nice Mickey...I can still find your house at 5am when the after party really gets going and wake you up.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    apinion said:

SXSW is waaaaay over rated.  Too many people and too many fights downtown.  If you want to see music do it during the day or at night on the outskirts of the city.

Agreed. If you don't have access, it sucks. I would never go if I didn't have a corporate venue. Austin city limits is the festival you want to go to.

It can be very tough if you are just walking around trying to get in places. You will spend way more time in lines with hipsters and posers than you will ever spend listening to music.

Highly recommend bailing on SXSW unless you buy the $3000 passes that get you in everywhere with no lines. Even then I would pass.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    apinion said:

I disagree! You just need to do it with Cen Tex.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I disagree! You just need to do it with Cen Tex.
    access is everything at this one. 

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    I have done the wrist band access thing and didn't think it was worth the hassle, much prefer the same bands playing at the local venues all over town. Some of the music is good, some great, some didn't appeal to me at all but all free and and within walking distance on South Congress and 1st Street
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone