Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super score! (As long as it's not poison)

Options
Saw these today at Heb. The butcher said they were "value beef" and that he wouldn't eat them. I promptly told him he could wipe his butt with them and I'd still eat them. They are 1.5in thick.
imageimage
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    They look good to me

Options
    Yep...Id eat em !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    At the very least you could grind into burgers or chili grind.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    I don't think I've heard of value beef. $6 a pound for ribeye is too good a deal to pass up. I will be interested in hearing how these turn out. Please keep us posted!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Doesn't look like poison to me.  Looks like goodness.  Enjoy.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I think I'll cook one for lunch. If it's good, I'll go buy a big piece to dry age.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Package says it was raised in Mexico, maybe that's why its not graded?

Make sure you follow the directions on the package!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    My experience with Mexican beef has been poor, hope yours is better.
    Jacksonville FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Not only would I eat it, I do eat such as that. I have been playing around with the "lesser" cuts by hanging them in my vertical on hooks at 150-170 degrees for a couple of hours under very heavy smoke and then finishing with a quick sear. Thus far, myself and the wife have really enjoyed it. I say go for it brother Strick. If you get cold feet you can always ship it to me ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Looks like decent marbling-can't hit a home-run if you don't swing at the pitch.  Likely a great score.  Better to be lucky than good any day!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The marbling looks excellent from here...I have gotten lucky and found some choice grade with marbling like that before, but usually you have to go prime to get all those nice little fat speckles. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• travisstrick
    Options
    If I had paid $30 for that at a restaurant I would be more than happy. It was a hair tough but had max flavor. For $6 per lb, I'd eat that all day. image
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Home-run right there!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    I've paid more for less....your just renting it anyway....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    <sarcasm>
    It might have been a hair tough because it looks like you overcooked it.
    </sarcasm>

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    Good looking cook man. Like you said as long as it isn't poisened you'll be fine. Happy eating!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looks very good from here
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Looks pretty nice Travis, a tad underdone for me, but very nice. Doesn't say anything about being needle tenderized, which is very unusual. Maybe you need to eat another 2 or 3 to form a better opinion. 
    A few months ago saw an article on some additive that is used in both Mexico and USA that China and Russia are upset about. Go figure. Mexico is looking to funnel its exports to the US as they have now lost Russia and China. Maybe that's why you are seeing the Mexican steaks. I guess if you believe and trust the FDA, all is good!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Marbling looks great
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Awesome!!! Marbled like prime steaks
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I think I would have to pass if he wiped his ass with them. And then I would have to find a different butcher.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • travisstrick
    Options
    hapster said:

Tastes like prime too
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    hapster said:

Tastes like prime too
    I'll bring some Canadian prime beef to Salado. Then you can see what shoe leather texture is really like

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I get some pretty good prime at whole foods... Granted its $22 lb
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Damn fine score!!! Hard to find ANY decent beef at that price ananymore. Looks fantastic!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Give a piece to the lowest ranking member of your party, monitor for an hour.  If they live, eat the rest!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I read that some markets/chains are now selling low grade beef but labeling it as USDA graded. Which only means that it's fit for consumption but doesn't tell you select, choice, prime, etc. it doesn't look like you got poor quality meat there.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    If I had paid $30 for that at a restaurant I would be more than happy. It was a hair tough but had max flavor. For $6 per lb, I'd eat that all day. image

That looks really good!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy