Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-First Brisket questions

Options
I'm planning my first brisket, watched the Aaron Franklin videos, think the cook should be fine, or at least I don't have any questions on it for right now. But I know I will have a large amount of left-overs so I need advice on that. 
  • I plan to use the leftovers the next day, so I know they will have to go in the fridge overnight. I assume I should not slice the left overs until use? Is that right? 
  • Next question what is the best way to re-heat the brisket?
  • Alternately, how will it be in the microwave, maybe on low power? (I am feeding some folks at work, and we only have a microwave)
  • And when to slice it, before or after re-heating?
  • Lastly, I assume I will just wrap the left-overs in foil to store in the fridge, is that right?

Thanks in advance.
LBGE

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Brisket is better chopped and served on a bun. Leftover sliced brisket isn't all that great. I'm not a fan of it personally. Microwaving it will be fine.
    NW IOWA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Brisket Chili IMO for leftovers
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

I'm going to politely disagree.  I had some sliced leftover brisket at work yesterday that was reheated in a microwave and I enjoyed it very much. 

Slice it and store it in a ziplock bag.  Reheat SLOWLY (30 or 40% power at most) after adding a little water to the bag.  It takes some monitoring and rotating to make sure the heat gets distributed evenly.  It is far better to go slow and be patient (something not usually associated with microwave cooking) than to go fast and end up with some parts rubbery and some parts still cold.  The sliced brisket will soak up the water and the water will help distribute the heat more evenly.  When part of the bag is hot to the touch, pull it out and let it sit for a few more minutes so the heat to evenly distribute - then serve. 

This is not as good as getting it sliced fresh after the initial cook but it is usually quite good.  Occasionally, it is better - if the brisket ended up a little dry this moistened version will be better.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Although chopped brisket, brisket chili, and brisket nachos are also great.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Whatever you do... Make sure you ha e enough ice to last the duration of your cook. Nothing worse than going to fix your next drink and finding yourself low on ice.
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    Hapster, you think ice would go good with my PBR?

OK serious question. The brisket is about 1-2 inches too big for my BGE. I am planning to lay it flat over the vee-rack. Anybody think that is a bad idea?
    LBGE
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    DocWonmug said:

OK serious question. The brisket is about 1-2 inches too big for my BGE. I am planning to lay it flat over the vee-rack. Anybody think that is a bad idea?
    That seems to be what most people do. I did one once that way and after it shrinks a bit, you can remove the V rack.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Foghorn has the answer-don't slice much more than you will initially consume, then follow his guidance. For about 60% of the briskets I cook, SWMBO and I end up with the bulk of the "precooked" hunk of beef.  I have been known to repurpose for most eggcellent lunches for the week.  Hell, I can take it into the following weekend depending on the BGE schedule.
    And WRT-draping the brisket, works just fine.  Enjoy the eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited October 2014
    Options
    DocWonmug said:

It's not a Bad idea but not necessary. Just shove it in there "accordion" style. It will shrink up in a few hours and then you don't have to clean anything extra.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I've been chopping the flat and freezing it. Sometimes I'll use it for sandwiches or throw in a vegetarian dish when I'm hankering for some protein. Using it for stews, soups and chilis adds instant flavor.
    Dunedin, FL
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    DocWonmug said:

Great reason to go get an XL!!!!!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    What is "WRT"?
    LBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DocWonmug said:
    What is "WRT"?
    With Regards To
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    What is PBR?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Post Brisket Removal?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95