Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Thighs

Options

I tried some chicken thighs using Myron Mixon's idea of the cupcake tray.  I cut holes in the bottoms of my wife's silicone cupcake pan (still waiting for a reaction) and placed the cupcake pan into a foil pan.  The thighs were trimmed and I removed the skins.  I trimmed all the fat from the underside of the skins and saved the skins.  The thighs and skins were then brined for about 3 hours.  After a rinse, the skins were put back onto the thighs and placed into the cupcake pan, skin side down.  The remaining brine was poured over the chicken and each piece got a pad of butter.  Everything went onto the egg at 300 degrees for about 80 minutes (160 degrees on thighs) at which time the thighs were removed, dipped in sauce and finished directly on the grate at 350 degrees.

These turned out great but I would use a different sauce next time to achieve better color.

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Sounds like a pretty complex process for thighs, but the finished product shows it was all worth it, looks pretty good. What kind of sauce did you use and what do you think you might use next time?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options

I doctored a Sweet Baby Rays and must have added too much vinegar and turmeric which resulted in a more yellow sauce.  Not sure what I'll try next time.

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    for backyard BBQ, we just leave the skins off.  Makes for a much shorter prep.  Glad you enjoyed it.  What did you brine them in?  Anything special?  Hope you survive the wife's reaction.
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options
    It was a practice cook for competition.  My brine was chicken stock, beer, garlic salt, cayenne, diced onion, basil.