Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Runaway Temps

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052

When I am doing hot cooks - 400 degrees or more - I find that my temps get out of control very easily on my XL when I open the dome to work with the food.  Last week I was doing pizza at about 500 degrees.  After opening the dome to take out the pizza and put the next one on, the temp shot up to 650 in less than a minute.  It was really difficult to bring the temp back down.

I am wondering if one of those lump reducers would help prevent this.  Any help would be appreciated!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Try closing the bottom vent completely, when you open the dome. That should help restrict the airflow and then when you close the dome, open up the bottom vent to whatever position you had it before you opened the dome.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    i like @fljoemon suggestion

Often if I open the egg and I get flare ups, I'll close the bottom vent to restrict flow and kill the flame, then return the vent to the position it was in before.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC