Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New base old top / bands slipping

Hi Guys have any of you had a warranty replacement on a top or base and afterwords the bands slip off. I had mine tightened till the screws started to bend towards me and did a couple of cooks on it, one was a low and slow and the other a 400 cook which was fine, then I did a pizza cook at 500-550 and the lid wouldn't open, because the bands slipped, when I got the lid open it almost slipped right off the back of the unit, managed to grab it it with both of my ovegloves and lower it gently onto some towels placed on my concrete patio, almost crapped and burnt myself.

I have the new base with silicone tabs on the draft door and the original top which is around 3 years old.

Cheers.

Comments

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Obviously the bands had loosened.  I did a clean burn once and noticed when I slowly tried opening the dome the bands moved so.  I shut her down then after a few hours propped the lid open a few inches to help cooling and after a few hours the the bands appeared fine.  Still after a bit more cooling i retightened the bands and have had no issue since, even with a few 500+ pizza cooks.

Did you use the old band bolts or were they new?  Were they galvanized like stock or did you get stainless steel bolts.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    @B&BKnox Thanks for the info, maybe I was just too afraid to tighten them too much, they were the original galvanized bolts that came with it.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    The older bolts have been stressed from before and possibly stretched when re-tightened.  I would suggest a hardware stop and purchase new carrage bolts and tighten until bending.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited July 2014

Torquewrench to 10#? I ended up retorquing mine when the Egg was warm and I'm all good now. This technique is not recommended so proceed at your own risk. Again,I had no issues.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Thanks for the help guys, I will try a tightening again with a torque wrench and some new carriage bolts and if that don't work I guess i will contact the dealer.

Cheers. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I haven't fired mine yet to see how its gonna act. I did go ahead and get the replacement band hardware and replaced most of it. It was only $7 and beat getting home and having one of the old bolts break during removal  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.