Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4th of July weekend cooks

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
Here's some pics of my cooks from the 4th of July weekend. For the 4th I cooked a 11+ lb prime grade packer on the LBGE:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Finished and ready to wrap in foil before letting it rest in the Cambro. In hindsight I could have left it wrapped in the butcher paper instead of foil.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

My buddy and his family arrived so I cooked up a batch of wings on the SBGE:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

As is often the case when guests are over, it is difficult to get many pics. I only managed to take this one pic after the brisket was sliced and served:

On Sunday I did a little cook of a tri tip on my Santa Maria grill:

Followed by some lamb shanks on the LBGE:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Into a 6 QT Dutch oven to braise with onions, garlic, thyme, rosemary, oregano, EVOO, dry white wine, lemon zest, sea salt, and other spices:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Pulled the shanks from the DO and some potatoes and carrots took their place:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Finished veggies:

My plate: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It was nice to have some time to do some longer cooks. Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That looks great!

Just curious, why did you start the packer on the raised grid? Was that so it should fit since it draped down? Man I want beef right now. Lamb looks perfect too.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    @DMW‌ - Thanks! I started it raised for a couple of reasons. 1-the reason you stated - to keep that end of the flat from taking direct heat coming around the platesetter and 2-that end of the flat was pretty thin and I think having it lower than the thickest part and point gives it a chance at cooking at a slightly lower temp. I didn't measure temp differences on this cook but have noticed a 10-15 degree higher temp on raised grids before. The thin end of the flat didn't fall apart upon slicing so I suspect it helped.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Great job all across the board! Your brisket looks killer!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @R2Egg2Q‌
    Brother that is a outstanding cook to say the very least. A great job all around. You knocked that out of the park and across the street my friend. Excellent job! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That picture of the lamb shank named "My plate" is beyond Awesome..Fantastic cooks all round..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Looks great all the way around!

Quick question though; when braising with wine in a non-enameled Dutch oven, do you notice any tinny or metallic taste? I've always been a bit leery of using really acidic ingredients (tomatoes/wine) in my DO for that reason.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I don't know what I would attack first. The brisket or the lamb shanks? I'm a Texan through and through, but ya got me drooling over both.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Acn said:
    Looks great all the way around! Quick question though; when braising with wine in a non-enameled Dutch oven, do you notice any tinny or metallic taste? I've always been a bit leery of using really acidic ingredients (tomatoes/wine) in my DO for that reason.

I didn't notice any off taste but you raise a good point. I held off adding any kind of tomatoes but didn't even think about wine. It was diluted some with water so perhaps that helped. I'll probably use something other than my DO next time.

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I don't know what I would attack first. The brisket or the lamb shanks? I'm a Texan through and through, but ya got me drooling over both.

Thanks Griffin. Good thing I cooked them on different days and didn't have to make that choice!

Bay Area, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    What a friggin' cook spread!  You definitely were in the cook overload mode-I'm sure the quests enjoyed the offerings!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Man, that lamb looks awesome!! Well done!!
    GWN
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Thanks all for the compliments!

Bay Area, CA
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    nice job

Booch- from Medina, Ohio