Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BB Ribs Recipe- TMI

Options
I have been reading various recipes for baby back ribs on BGE. Frankly too much information. I don't have plate setter or a rib rack. What do you suggest? First time attempt at baby backs. Thanks for all advice.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Do this the first time, then adjust from there:

• Light egg
    • Stabilize @ 250
    • Season ribs
    • Add wood - I like cherry or oak for ribs
    • Toss them on the egg
    • Don't open the egg to check on them!!!
    • At 5 hours, do the bend or toothpick test to see if they're done
    *If you're going to sauce your ribs, do it at the last 30 minutes. 

Good luck!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Do you have a way to cook indirectly?
    Flint, Michigan
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited July 2014
    Options

Rib rack isn't a big thing, if you have enough grid space.  The problem will be no plate setter or indirect piece.  The drippings from the ribs will hit the coals and cause flare-ups.  What you could do is use an aluminum drip pan or a roasting pan on the cooking grid, and then some sort of a rack to elevate the ribs so they aren't sitting in the rendered fat.  Depending on the size of your egg, you could also separate two areas of lump with a drip pan in the firebox, and cook over the drip pan.  

Enjoy!! 

Santa Paula, CA
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    May be blasphemous to post this here but without a platesetter or woo (or something to go indirect), you'd be better off cooking ribs on a weber where you can separate your lump into a direct and indirect side.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Just one more thought - if you don't have any way to cook indirect, definitely do not try the turbo method at 350.  That will go downhill very rapidly.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Ya your in a tough spot. I've never tried ribs direct. I'd use as little lump as you can just to keep the lump low. I'm sure you can get creative but it would take at least two grates and a drip pan
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Options

there was a recipie and directions to cook direct some time back, i did a search and found an old post from me but i did not find the directions, maybe someone can help with the search terms that would pull it up.

if not it can be done and needs to be around 225 the whole time.. good luck

• dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Options

i found it for you, type in jj direct ribs and look at someone who was asking for the recipe