Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Thanks for tips on oak wood

I've always made my roast beef deli using cherry wood for smoke, but finally decided to try using oak instead.  I know it really didn't happen cause there is no pics, but wow, it'll be my go to from now on.  Thanks all for the tip.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @SWVABeanCounter‌
    Every one has different tastes and opinions when it comes to smoke taste. But that being said I find oak to be at least "good" on everything. Great on most things. And unbeatable on a few things. It's a multipurpose all around wood and one of a few that produces a good taste across the meat spectrum. It's my wood of choice and personal favorite. When all else fails or disappoints use oak my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited June 2014
    As said above. I use oak on almost everything (using cherry mixed in for color on some cooks). Hams is 100% sugar maple with a little cherry for color.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    im gonna try some oak and cherry mixed together for a brisket flat tomorrow.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    msloan said:

im gonna try some oak and cherry mixed together for a brisket flat tomorrow.

I do not cook briskets, but really not sure mixing cherry with the oak on THAT cook. Hope some brisket cooks will come in on this. Everything else I mix the two.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @msloan‌
    This is just my opinion so don't take it as fact. On brisket if you are using oak the cherry is not necessary at all. The oak alone is about as good as it gets for brisket. The only plus of the cherry wood is you are chasing the perfect smoke ring. For home cooking I do not concern myself with the smoke ring. Just the taste.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2014
    You can put a pinch of nitrite (pink salt/cure powder) in the rub (or powdered celery instead of nitrite) and not worry about the smoke ring (because I gar-run-tee you'll have a nice one).  Also, @SGH, a little of that injection mix you were talking about, a little bit of that in the rub will do the trick.
    @nolaegghead‌
    Have you ever tried that cure I posted? It is outstanding my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    No, I haven't (looks like I have to buy 50lbs, but it's not expensive).  I was thinking about making some, I think it was sugar, brown sugar, salt and sodium nitrite.  Use the magic numbers 2:1 salt, sugar with a pinch of nitrite.  Then adjust.  Mix it up at 3-5% solids and inject.  Any suggestions?  What's the dilution of the solution?
    @nolaegghead‌
    If you have a local butcher they will usually sale you one of the small 1 pound packs that come in the case. This is how I purchase it. I have no need for 40 pounds of it at a time. I do not know what all is in the cure. I have never come close to replicating it myself. Whatever is in it they got it right my friend. If you can't locate it but would like to try it PM me your address and I will send you a few pounds of it.

Status- Standing by.