Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poultry Injections

Options
We do a lot of spatched chicken but lately, I've been playing around with injections - especially for flavoring the breast meat. This is not to enhance moisture but simply to add more flavor.
I've messed with white wine, butter, various seasonings etc.. but I'm looking to expand my horizons. I see a lot of commercial injections out there but don't know if they are any good.
Who else out there uses injections and what are your favorites?
In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Creole Butter is very good in turkey so it should work well in chicken

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've made a few, but mostly just use the Tony Cachere ones. Like the creole butter that was mentioned.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Have you tried brining?? Flavor gets deep in, and it's a great way to go with poultry. One of my favorite chicken brines is:

1/2 gallon water
    2/3 cup morton coarse kosher salt
    3/4 cup turbinado or demerara sugar
    few slices fresh ginger root
    whole lime squeeze with peel
    a cinnamon stick

Of course there are endless possibilities!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    @NatureBoy: Yes. I always brine although I have not used a brine as elaborate as you list here. I've seen the Cachere injections just have not jumped on them. So you can actually taste the lime and ginger?
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Yes, just a subtle hint, but deep into the meat. Just throwing it out there because I personally don't ever inject chicken. If it is a little interior flavor you are going for, you may wanna play with it a bit!

Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll try NatureBoy's soak and see how it goes as well as pick up that Butter Injection just out of laziness. :D
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    A 6% brine solution works great when injected.  Add some sugar(I usually go with 3%), and whatever other flavors you prefer.  This speeds up the brining process without allowing the water to soak into the skin.  And not having to clear out a large spot in your fridge for the bucket is nice.   Just a rack for the bird, with a pan underneath for good measure.  Allows the skin to dry out during the brining process. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    Good idea, Focker. Thanks.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Focker - that's and interesting idea.  Do you stab it Lizzy Borden style and try to get the brine in evenly throughout the meat?  Dry and brine at once.  Brilliant.

BTW - I was born and raised (until I was around 8 yo) in the quad cities.  Never been back since I left, that was in '73.  I've wanted to check it out again, see if I can find the old neighborhood....wonder if our old house is still standing.   I guess I can look that up from here, just need to get the address from my mom.
    edited June 2014
    Options

Inject under the skin if possible, then extract needle while pushing brine, going in at both ends of each breast for example.  You will see it plump up.  Must be a nurse-needle thang. lol

It is a brilliant method, in multiple ways.

You can get a cheap, plastic bbq syringe for a few bucks.  The SS ones are quite nice though.

I usually inject early in the morning, let it sit all day in the fridge, then rotis at night.  Strain all herbs or items left in your brine post steep. 

Pretty cool you've got a QC history nola.  Let me know.  I would have no problems checking it out for ya and sending some pics. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Cymbaline65‌
    Brother I know there are a million different brines and injections out there but if you want to try one that is in a league of its own try this one if ever you get the chance. If you don't like it you will be the first to my knowledge.
    It's called Processors Choice Brown Sugar Cure A4780050. I get it from a local butcher. I don't know if you can order it or not. The last time I looked into it you had to order 40 pounds of it. The manufacturer would not break a case for small sales. It's well worth locating as there is nothing no better. You use it both as a brine and injection for poultry. It's one of those things you will just have to try to really appreciate. If you try it you will never make your own brine or use anything else again. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Focker - I'll give that a shot, sounds like fun.  I have a SS injector already.

Yeah, I was born in Davenport.  Dad worked at Rock Island.  We moved to Heidelberg Germany and I've never been back.  All the family in the area moved out around the same time, or in the case of my Dad's parents, passed away.  So never had a family reason to go back.
    edited June 2014
    Options

@nolaegghead,

I'm a St Luke's baby too man, 77.  Currently work at that hospital.  I went by my grandma's old house on Mother's Day, lots of good memories. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    @SGH: Wow. How did you come across this brine? Just tried it on a whim? I love the name! I'll do some cursory lookin' around. Thanks!
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
  • SGH
    Options
    @Cymbaline65‌
    To be honest with you I honestly don't remember who suggested it to me . But I have been using it now for many many years. It's top notch in my opinion. I hope you can locate it my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    That's it my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited June 2014
    Options
    It looks like they only sell in bulk as well. If you have a local butcher they will usually sale you one of the small packs.

Status- Standing by.

• geoff7877
    geoff7877 Posts: 35
    Options
    Big fan of the brine. Lots of the same ingredients as nature boy. I love using lime. Lots of possibilities with brining and I've had great results every time. I heat the brine to dissolve the salt and sugar then cool it down and pour it over the chicken (or pork) in a ziplock freezer bag and squeeze out as much air as possible. Turns out great every tine.
    Petaluma, CA
  • SGH
    Options
    @Cymbaline65‌
    For a real treat you should try brining and injecting a turkey with it. It's unreal my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    All excellent advice! Thanks to all.