Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin, cut to steaks or leave whole?

Bought this beef tenderloin. I don't need the whole thing all at once. Should I cut the steaks I need and look to dry age the rest or do the whole thing at once and use as I need it? I'd probably look to Trex either way I go. Appreciate any feedback. As far as
Dry aging, is that just placing on a grid on top of a cookie sheet in the fridge for x amount of days before using?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Jonnysouth‌
    In my opinion tenderloin is of such quality that you can't go wrong either way. It's fabulous whole or steaked. If you don't need the whole thing there is certainly nothing wrong with cutting a few steaks out of it. Just my thoughts.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    As far as the the dry aging there are some folks here far more qualified than me to give advice on that subject. Maybe they will respond.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    You're going to have to get the silver skin off, imo. Once you do that you're usually left with 2-3 pieces. You can make a roast with 1 and make steaks with the other. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    +1 on taking off silver skin. You'll have a roast and some other chunks you can roast all at once. A whole tenderloin on a reverse sear is hard to beat though. Sounds like a great excuse for a party!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have one sitting in my freezer that I have been wanting to cook an was thinking grinding the small end for burgers or meatloaf and grill the rest whole. I think I will just keep it simple, take it to rare and slice to finish where people want it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

For that, you would want to wet age, and leave in the cryovac.  Dry aging would be a waste IMO.

I like to stir fry the more expensive, leaner cuts like tenderloin that shine hot and fast, if I can catch them on sale.  It also allows you to "stretch" out the protein serving size with the added veggies and rice.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    I ended up cutting the majority of it into 2" steaks and Trexed 3 of them to a nice medium rare which turned out wonderful!! Melt in the mouth good and then vac sealed the remaining. I had a good chunk of meat that I'm going to have to grill and then pull the meat away to use in Fajitas or stir fry. Thanks for all the responses!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    If you don't need the whole thing, cut some steaks and save a roast. I love doing them whole for large groups. For our family reunion, I always grill up three whole tenderloins. We have folks who only eat well done beef, and others who like it rare. Since the whole tenderloin tapers from one end to the other, I can please everyone all at once with one cook.