Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri tip question

Options
Happy Memorial Day! Thank you to all the current military personnel and veterans for your service. We truly appreciate you. Doing my first tri tip today and I have a few questions. It is 2.5 pounds and looks to be about 2 inches thick. Can I marinate it like a London broil first? Do you smoke it? Seems like reverse sear is the way to go. What egg temp for the indirect segment? What IT should I pull it at and start the reverse sear? Any idea how long it will take to get to that IT? Thank you for help!
XL, LG, mini (soon)

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Tri-tip is at the top of my favorites list. You should treat it like a steak. You could marinade it, but it really doesn't need it. Use the reverse sear method and cook it to med rare. It will be tender and juicy. 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I cook mine raised direct @ 325 or so, to an IT of 115, then pull and crank up the egg to sear temp. No need to marinate. I rub mine with worcestershire and season with basic rubs of salt, pepper and garlic salt. Red oak is my wood of choice. It will only take 30 minutes or so to get to the IT if your cooking @325. Most important is cutting across the grain for serving, see the link below.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I do mostly the same as billy ray but I usually do the indirect in the 250-275 range and apply the rub without a binder. I usually start checking temp around 30 mins and pull at 115. I find a sear at 500+ for only 1 minute per side gets mine to where I want them (IT of about 125-130 when pulling them off). It'll rise up in temp a few degrees in the first few mins of rest.

Be careful not to sear too long or you will fly past your target temp/doneness.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mavs757mx
    Mavs757mx Posts: 7
    Options
    No need to marinade.   Best way to cook is let it sit out for an hour before putting on the egg.   Season and indirect or direct raised will do you right.   You can inject or i like to roast garlic and make a paste out of it and brush over all sides before placing on the egg.  Make sure you let it rest before slicing.
    Large BGE and Weber Summit 670 on the weekend.  Blowing smoke out of the jet engines during the week!
  • DubbsBBQ
    DubbsBBQ Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. How about smoke. Looks like we have one vote for smoke? Do most people throw a little smoke on it?
    XL, LG, mini (soon)