Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purchasing Multiple Eggs... at once! (Tips/thoughts/suggestions welcome!)

Options
I've had my Large for about 3 years now and it's finally time to add another member to the family.  I've decided on the small since right now it's just me and SWMBO.  We have several large family parties throughout the year, and I like the idea of versatility by having two Eggs. (I've been thinking on this for about a year and a half...)  I am super fired up to get this going and will be breaking them both out on Father's Day

Well, I must be doing something right because my mom wants to get an Egg for my stepdad for Father's Day.  I figured this would be a good time for me to pick up my second Egg. :)

My questions are: 1) Do you think I'd be able to negotiate a few deals on the Egg and eggcessories  since we're buying TWO of them? I'm going with a nest as I have table for the large, and I'm going to be helping my mom decide between a table and nest. I'm leaning towards a nest for now since my stepdad is handy and can build his own.
2) How should I approach the dealer?  Can I try and get anything marked down or thrown in for free?  Should I have a plan to walk away?  I'm not a harda** so I won't be rude about it, but I would like to think that throwing mucho dinero at them would help my cause.

Or am I just crazy?  I'm in the Chicago area, which means Ace is the place that I've mostly dealt with in the past. Recommendations welcome!  Thanks for reading and responding!

~Bonemuse

--------------------------------------
30 miles west of Chicago, buried deep in the suburbs.

LBGE (May 2011), SBGE (June 2014) and a growing pile of accessories.

Comments

• Scotbradly725
    Options
    You should be able to get at least 15% off on any EGGcessories that you buy. At my local dealer, they run a special a couple times a year where when you buy the EGG all accessories are purchased at the same time are 15% off. They also have a deal that if you buy your egg from them, all EGGcessories that you ever buy from them from that point on are 10% off, including lump! Negotiate, and be firm! If you live in that kind of a metropolitan area, then they know you have more than one outlet to purchase from.
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    I bought three eggs (one small and two large) one at a time from the same dealer. When I bought the second egg I told the dealer that I had bought one from him before and he gave me 10% off of everything, egg and accessories. The next time I bought from him - same thing.
    Two at a time should be very attractive to a dealer and 10 - 15% should be easy for them. You don't need to lead with a threat just ask and be prepared to sell the idea that you are a good customer who returns for additional purchases. If he doesn't jump on it you really should go elsewhere.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    First, there are different dealer rankings. (ie Gold, Silver, Bronze)   I would def go to a Gold dealer. They will get the deepest cut on actual cost. Secondly, I negotiated both of my Eggs. There is wiggle room and probably more if you buy two. Good luck!
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    As you likely already know the better deals seem to involve buying a package that most dealers have.  Platesetter. ash tool, nest, etc.  I would check with several since there are many in the greater Chicago area and see if anyone will offer a discount above the package deal for buying two.  In other words tell them you want a bid on the total package and let them know you will buy in X number of days after comparing prices and packages.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bonemuse
    bonemuse Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips.  I went in this morning to put out some feelers. The first place I went to offered delivery for half price... which isn't much.

The second place (and the one I'm used to dealing with) was a little better.  They offered delivery for both of them (assembly is already included).  The seasonal manager also told me that the best time to buy would be the weekend of June 7th/8th because it's  "tax free" weekend. Both places usually offer discounts on accessory purchases when you're buying the egg itself. Here in Illinois, the Eggs aren't as popular as they are in, well, pretty much everywhere else, so I'm wondering:

Should I keep trying to negotiate a better deal, or should I take the current offer and be happy saving a few hundred bucks?

Thanks!

--------------------------------------
    30 miles west of Chicago, buried deep in the suburbs.

LBGE (May 2011), SBGE (June 2014) and a growing pile of accessories.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    If you live near Peoria, IL I would see the price of eggs there. Carolina Q. is right.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    As mentioned above, Eggfest if you can wait-and just for the conversation-since you mentioned you have a LBGE and were looking at a SBGE, you may want to think about another LBGE instead.  Eggcessories are interchangeable and you already know how the LBGE behaves.  Food for thought!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.