Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Busy Egg

Options
My egg has been busy this weekend. It has been hot since noon on Saturday. I cooked 4 dozen wings yesterday, then cooled it down enough to clean the ash for a low and slow. Relit it at 10:30 last night for 16 pounds of pork butt. After the butts come off, I'll be adding more lump and ramping it up for 3 pizzas. All in all it will have been constantly burning for about 20 hours and will have been hot/warm for about 30.

Friends came over for wings last night. Pizzas and pork are for my niece's confirmation party at church.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That is the way to do it! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I noticed today, not the first time for this, that after taking off the pork and increasing the temp for the pizzas that there was liquid coming from the base of my egg. Is this due to the egg sweating?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Coming out the vent door?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sounds like you are ready for that second Large.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cortguitarman
    Options
    It was coming from underneath. @Mickey‌ no need for a second large. I've got an XL. Thinking of a small or mini max when they come out.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I noticed today, not the first time for this, that after taking off the pork and increasing the temp for the pizzas that there was liquid coming from the base of my egg. Is this due to the egg sweating?
    Might want to take the shop vac to the inside to see if you can find a crack. That's how I discovered the cracked base on mine. Here's how I noticed - it was in the single digits so that's why it was freezing into a little stalagmite.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I cleaned JT out before hand and didn't see any cracks.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Mine did the same thing on my pizza cook.  The Egg had absorbed so much grease from my slow and lows that the higher temp of the pizza cook caused it to seep out of the egg.
    My heart jumped into my throat as I thought I had a cracked egg as well.  Instantly was on my hands and knees on the patio looking at the underside of the egg.  No cracks or anything.  I check it every time I do a complete clean out as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• cortguitarman
    Options
    @YEMTrey‌ I've had a cracked base before it isn't such a big deal. I did a low and slow with a cracked base.

It wasn't grease. I used drip pans. I guess the ceramic is that porous that it absorbs the moisture from food. I'm not worried about it. I am considering getting a table nest and getting rid I the patio stone underneath.
    Mark Annville, PA