Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Egg on wood deck

Anyone have some kind of mat for a wood deck? I get the odd spark fly out of the draft control when I open the screen, I'm thinking something on the deck would be cheap insurance?
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Don't have a wood deck, but don't think I'd worry about a Matt under the egg if I did. Why open the screen during a cook?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,515
    There are mats that people put in front of there fire places to protect there floors from sparks. Now that I think of it do people still use wood in their fireplaces?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Someone here had a bigger problem. Their egg cracked and the hot coals burned their table. I am starting to second guess the thought of moving mine to the deck.
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,983
    Heat and wood...always a risk.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    There are bbq mats available but you have to be careful. Some of them say for stain prevention only, some are fire resistant

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzycazzy Posts: 9,058
    henapple said:

Heat and wood...always a risk.

8-X X_X @-) :-O :-S
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,983
    Will that protect his deck?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 9,058
    Well it says it has STI Protection! :-?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,921
    edited April 2014
    Here is the fireproof circular mat I use under my medium in the nest. I pick it up after each use if I know it will be a while. Reason is these will trap moisture and stain your deck with mildew! That may seem like too much trouble but not as much as trying to remove the discoloration in the deck!
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!