Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Freezing?

Options
rtt121
rtt121 Posts: 653
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone else avoid this like the plague or am I going out of my way to package bulk food reduced to individual cuts vac sealed individually?

Edit: I buy hot dogs by the links and they are the one item I will thaw break a few off and then refreeze and I can't taste a difference... what does it mean?!
Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I'm all ears on this subject. As far as I'm concerned as long as they were frozen and I am the first to thaw and open the cryovac package then I will re bag in Food Saver bag(s) and re-freeze the rest. I just don't tell my wife as she has that "never re-freeze" mentality, but doesn't know where she got it! It's just like ribs I buy on sale at the store. Most times those are thawed when I buy them, but throw them in the freezer. No problems yet!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I do it quite often. I'll buy frozen lamb stew, thaw in the fridge and vac seal portions. I always understood it was not kosher but have never had a problem. I think it's more important to make sure there is no air in your packaging.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've done it occasionally and never had bad results or any difference in taste.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,513
    edited February 2014
    Options
    My simplistic rule of thumb:  if defrosted in the fridge recently, then no fear to refreeze.  it defrosted on countertop, warm water or microwave, don't refreeze.
    canuckland
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    This has nothing to do with economics or how the food tastes, it has to do with food safety. The danger zone where bacteria can thrive is from 40 degrees to 140. If your food has gotten above 40 degrees, do NOT refreeze it. I personally don't ever refreeze.
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    My simplistic rule of thumb:  if defrosted in the fridge recently, then no fear to refreeze.  it defrosted on countertop, warm water or microwave, don't refreeze.
    This is what I believe too. Although I never plan to refreeze anything, sometimes it'll happen and as long as it stays in the fridge the whole time you are safe to refreeze. This also passes the 40 degree thing as well as I know my refrigerators are below 40 degrees.

Cherry Hill, NJ
  • rtt121
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is of similar thinking.  Though I always heard not to defrost in warm water but make sure its cold
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,513
    Options
    rtt121 said:
    Sounds like everyone is of similar thinking.  Though I always heard not to defrost in warm water but make sure its cold
    Occasionally I soak/defrost in warm water or SV bath, not for extended period though (max 1 hr?), then cook right away.
    canuckland
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    This has nothing to do with economics or how the food tastes, it has to do with food safety. The danger zone where bacteria can thrive is from 40 degrees to 140. If your food has gotten above 40 degrees, do NOT refreeze it. I personally don't ever refreeze.
    ringkingpin I agree with the 40 to 140 part but you failed to add you usually have a 4 hour window with it in between those temps. The main problem with refreezing is not a sanitary issue. I mean think about it, if the food was OK to eat when you refreeze it, won't be unsanitary when it comes out of the freezer. The problem with refreezing is that the ice molecules within the item you're refreezing breaks down the structure. It's like if you freeze watermelon it turns to junk it's not unsafe to eat it just turns to mush. I kebobbed some shrimp a couple a weeks ago with kielbasa, pineapple and an orange/honey glaze. They were beautiful. Looked like a meal right out of Sunset magazine. Bit into them and they were mush and I was pi$$ed. They were probably thawed in warm water and refrozen. They didn't make us sick it was the texture that was unpalatable.  
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP Posts: 11,739
    edited February 22
    I'm all ears on this subject. As far as I'm concerned as long as they were frozen and I am the first to thaw and open the cryovac package then I will re bag in Food Saver bag(s) and re-freeze the rest. I just don't tell my wife as she has that "never re-freeze" mentality, but doesn't know where she got it! It's just like ribs I buy on sale at the store. Most times those are thawed when I buy them, but throw them in the freezer. No problems yet!

I agree with RRP. He is usually right on such matters.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• rtt121
    Options
    @td66snrf sort of his the nail if was trying to smash with his comment.

I am not really worried about the bacteria issue I know when I have pushed a piece of meat too far in that regard.  I am more worried about what happens to the piece of meat if it's frozen? What happens if its frozen again? A third time?  Let's assume every thaw was in the refrigerator.

Might be time for an eggsperiment.  But not now... packing for 4 night getaway to Jamaica.  Leaving in 12 hours