Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade hamburgers - secret?

OK - what's the secret to using homemade ground beef stay together when making burgers?

We have used a few varieties - usually chuck, brisket and either short ribs or pork.  The burgers are very tasty but they fall apart.  Am I missing a "Bonding agent" of some sort?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You can put them on a tray and place them in the freezer for 15 minutes to firm up.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Even when eating them they crumble and not a nice soft juicy patty.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    How are you grinding?
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    certainly could be the grind, also fat content
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You might check out Kenji's Burger Lab stuff at Serious Eats. Here are a couple of articles on grinding and different cuts. Sounds like it might have to do with the blend.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited February 2014
    robnybbq said:
    Even when eating them they crumble and not a nice soft juicy patty.
    The crumbles are not soft and juicy? Seems I recall you saying your wife could not tolerate any pink in meat. If there's no pink, I'd have to say that they are over cooked.

In the past few years, I've learned that good hamburger patties should almost fall apart. I've gone to a number of fancier restaurants where the burgers run $12 -$15, and they usually do fall apart once the bun collapses.

However, I used to think the ground meat needed to be heavily massaged. That causes the proteins to tangle up. The patties do not fall apart. But most people consider that texture to be too heavy and tough. 

What I did for awhile as an in-between was to get an adjustable patty press. That made it easy to form the patty without lots of kneading. It also had the advantage of making the burgers quite uniform, and so cook more evenly.

A lot of times, if all I have is base level cheap ground beef, I make the patties as mini-meat loaves. Add egg, milk, bread crumbs. These form a binder, and hold some of the juices in.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Don't over handle your meat. The heat from your hands will cause the fat to melt. Try dipping your hands in some cold water between forming each patty.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Griffin said:
    Don't over handle your meat. 
    ...or you could go blind.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Griffin said:

Don't over handle your meat. The heat from your hands will cause the fat to melt. Try dipping your hands in some cold water between forming each patty.

I might revisit this when I've had a few..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Had to
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    God, I hate memes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited February 2014
    My solution won't appeal to the purists here, but maybe other interested readers might like my solution. I buy these big honkin tubes of 80/20 ground chuck from Sams. Then stick in the freezer for 90 minutes. Then using a wide blade chef's knife I cut it into patties, place on a cookie sheet and then freeze for 24 hours. After that I package them in Food Saver bags. Typical yield is 22 to 24 preformed delicious burgers.
    imageimage
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bdub60
    bdub60 Posts: 31
    I use 80/20 beef and put in one egg for every pound of meat.  Never have a problem with them falling apart.
    Guns Up! Roll Tide!
  • Did some home ground with short rib a couple of weeks back.  Mainly followed the Recipe at the following link:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/hamburgers/steakhouse_burgers.html

Only difference was that I diced meat in the morning, left it in the refrigerator all day, stuck it in the freezer for 20min and then ground in a food processor.  I let it warm up for about 20 mins after then formed into patties.  Hands down the best hamburgers I have ever produced on a grill and they had the perfect texture for me.  Held together well but still tender.  Wife loved em so much, she wanted burgers again the second night.  Reverse sear is also a beautiful thing.  Next time I want to sear on a cast Iron pan or griddle.
  • Eggcelsior
    God, I hate memes.

This one has a cat!

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    If your burgers are falling apart and coming out dry, there's probably not enough at in them. 80/20's a good start 75/25ish will give you a juicer burger.

If you've got to cook them well done for The Other, throw in some bread crumbs. You'll get a dryer patty that sticks together and hangs on to moisture while you nuke it.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I always use 80/20 and add bacon bits.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    RRP said:
    My solution won't appeal to the purists here, but maybe other interested readers might like my solution. I buy these big honkin tubes of 80/20 ground chuck from Sams. Then stick in the freezer for 90 minutes. Then using a wide blade chef's knife I cut it into patties, place on a cookie sheet and then freeze for 24 hours. After that I package them in Food Saver bags. Typical yield is 22 to 24 preformed delicious burgers.
    imageimage
    I just did this, thanks for the idea.  I'd like to buy a meat grinder one day and make my own but this is just fine for me right now and economical. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!