Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sous vide tri tip take 2

Options
The other day I posted a marinated trip tip I did SV. this one was dry rubbed. I wanted to cold smoke it but there wasn't time. This one was sprinkled with smoked sea salt then a light coating of granulated garlic then my normal rub all this within an hour of the bath. 135.5 for exactly 2 hours then seared in cast iron pan. Made an Adam Perry board dressing. Taste and texture was incredible. Something out of a high end restaurant BUT I am trying to get more of a classic smoked taste. Want to be able to mix SV with some cooking I do for people. Any tips are more than welcome. Really trying to incorporate SV

Comments

• ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    Im not happy with the sear at all ang going to start searing on the egg at 700
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    "BUT I am trying to get more of a classic smoked taste"

I suggest you COLD smoke the tri tip before bagging to SV cook. It makes a world of difference.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Do what I said the last time you posted and sous vide at 108 for an hour then cook like normal. Best way I have found to cook a tri tip. Also don't cook to 135 that's pretty high.
  • ericp
    Options
    @lit. I have been thinking about what you said on my first post and I cant grasp it. 108 seems far to low and will require alot of grill or smoke time. Sounds like its defeating the SV purpose. Please explain so I can understand
  • ericp
    Options
    @billybon I wanted to try and cold smoke this one but there wasnt enough time. Doing a few for the superbowl and will make sure to try it
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I think a quick sear on the egg is the solution!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • billybon
    Options
    ericp said:
    @billybon I wanted to try and cold smoke this one but there wasnt enough time. Doing a few for the superbowl and will make sure to try it
    How do you plan to do the cold smoke?
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    ericp said:

Im not happy with the sear at all ang going to start searing on the egg at 700

Just sear it caveman style, directly on the coals.

Options
    If you have a spider, put it on the egg so it is down deep close to the lump.  A grid or CI grid down there and you have a great place to sear.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I don't have my anova yet (hopefully in the next week) but my plan is to cold smoke with the amazin smoker and then sv...going to need some advise on times and temps...Just found a place here in IA that sells tri tip...cant wait to try it.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • ericp
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I can say for sure that 135 is a perfect medium for sous vide. Unbelievably tender and moist. Did 2 hours exactly. Im either going to get the amazin smoker or the poly science pistol smoker. I just changed my gasket so I didnt want to sear on the egg but tomorrow its definitely going to be. When I smoke on the egg I can go to 140 and still get a good medium but some people doubt me. I do some catering and boatloads of tri tip but looking to make sous vide a permanent part of the program. I think it works right along with the egg and is a great tool. I have so much to learn and open to all suggestions

• ericp
    edited February 2014
    Options
    @jaydub58 yes I have a spider. Going to do that. Thanks for the tip
  • billybon
    Options

ericp said:
    @jaydub58 yes I have a spider. Going to do that. Thanks for the tip
    I agree that 135 is a perfect medium for sous vide. However, you may wish to try 130 if you are doing a sear close to  or directly on the coals.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Sous vide to 108 then sear about 2 minutes a side at 700 then finish at 400 or so till it hits 125-128. Takes like 20 minutes to finish. I have done several tri tips at 128 then seared and am not a fan at all.
  • ericp
    Options
    Thank you @billybon and @lit for the tips