Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Options
sltruxell
sltruxell Posts: 12
edited January 2014 in Root
I want to cook a 6 lb pork shoulder(seasoned and purchased at a local pork shop) partically on the bge then put it in the crockpot...so we do not have to spend 15 yrs cooking it on the egg. We want to make pulled pork. Has anyone done this?  If so what worked for them? I want that smoky flavor..but with less time.  Thanks.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    350 indirect straight through or foil at 160...search turbo butt. No need to crockpot
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Options
    Sorry...Welcome.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Low and slow takes only 14 years, not 15. :)

Bag the crockpot! There's a process called turbo cooking which seems to result in very tasty food. It involves cooking at about 350° or so. Takes much less time. I've done only low and slow so I will leave it to the turbo people to chime in. I'm retired and in no rush. Hahaha!

But it can be done. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Turbo like @henapple said, 350 straight thru. If you like a good bark skip the foil, if you don't mind a softer bark then wrap in foil at 160IT. Not really gonna be much time difference between the two. Should be about 45mins a lb.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • sltruxell
    Options
    This is great info...THANKS!!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Low and slow takes only 14 years, not 15. :)

=)) Good catch!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• sltruxell
    Options
    We did the turbo butt last Saturday. It came out perfect. About 2 hrs at 350 to 165. Wrapped in foil. About 2 more hrs to 195. Cool down 1 hr wrapped in towel on ice in a cooler. Pulled apart easily. Nice bark..but not heavy. Thanks for all your help!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    On ice? Why did you want to cool it? The reason for the cooler is to keep it warm until you plan to eat. After 3-4-5 hours, you can pull it and enjoy a hot meal. IMO, holding until meal time is the only reason to use the cooler. I'f you time it right, you can pull and eat as soon as it comes off the grill. Butts don't require a "rest".

In any case, it looks good! Glad you enjoyed it!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    You just catch everything Mike.  I read the same post and missed that.  My young eyes.    L-)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • sltruxell
    Options
    I did not know that. We used it Sunday for Superbowl. Love this info. Thanks again.
  • sltruxell
    Options
    I thought maybe it was like letting a cake cool before flipping over..lol.